1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have RIRs

2 roosters
And 6hens

My first rooster is 1 year old and the second is 5 months.

I need to get rid if one of then because they are starting to chase each other.

I want the young one because he is friendly

But should I keep the older because he knows what he is doing?

I don't really need any rooster do I?

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
Its all about what you want or need. If you don't want chicks then, no, you don't need roosters.

Do not let the younger one fool you, as they mature than can and will do a 180. He's still a baby and has not formed his adult personality yet.

The chasing is normal and once dominance is established it should stop.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I keep all my roosters :/ I don't mean to, I just can't sell them (or give them away for that matter) and I have to process a few that won't be used for breeding but it always turns out those odd balls that don't fit in to my plan are the nicest boys.

Rabbit Grass Fawn Rabbits and Hares Livestock

Bird Photograph Vertebrate Phasianidae Beak

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
I keep all my roosters :/ I don't mean to, I just can't sell them (or give them away for that matter) and I have to process a few that won't be used for breeding but it always turns out those odd balls that don't fit in to my plan are the nicest boys.

View attachment 13952

View attachment 13953
Same thing with mine. I have 3 odd balls, and instead of culling them we will be keeping them one is nothing but trouble. He finds it every wheres, the other one is an attention getter he loves to peck me in the backside when I don't pay attention to him, and the other one is a big fat buff O, which is our only one of a kind rooster, then we have a 4th odd ball that is called buddy, he follows us around like a puppy dog. The best looking ones so far have mean streaks, and seem to want to even fight with the hens, so they are soon to be culled. I almost lost a finger to one of them, he is now cooped up in the holding pen.

Roosters are hard to get rid of, however I can find plenty of pots to cook them in.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts