Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I read somewhere that roosters won't mount a hen until she's ready to start laying or something like that. But my late rooster AND my new rooster have both favored the only pullet in the flock who hasn't started laying yet. She's a Cochin, about 9 months old. Why is she the fave? Bc she's not laying yet and they don't want babies?! LOL

image-4276264454.jpg

Ps
My late roo favored her and another pullet-my new roo only favors her. The ladies are heavy breeds, he is not. She is the smallest of the bunch though. Could size be a factor? And also, what about the 3rd hen? Neither rooster bothered with her :-/ Does she need to be dressed up, or what?! LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
lol I dont have an answer. Roosters pick who ever they like at the moment. It doesnt matter if they lay or not. But what does matter , is if the henis mature. The cochin is mature but wont start laying until she is about a year old. Roosters could care less lol, they just want to do their business.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
All 4 of my Roos fight over my red star. She must be one sexy babe in chickendom! None of them have much interest in anyone else. Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts