Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have 3 hens and a Roo, for the past 2 days my Roo has been crowing all day, he starts at about 8 and does it throughout the day pretty constantly but thankfully not during the night, I have read that he could want more hens, does anyone have any experience with Roo's? I have no problem getting him more hens if it means that he won't crow as much (I have no problem with him crowing, I personally like it but I think my neighbours might start getting a bit miffed if he carries on crowing ALL day) as I don't want my neighbours to complain and I really don't want to have to rehome him. Any ideas welcome!! Bird Photograph Green Vertebrate White

Sent from my iPhone using Chicken Forum

Attachments

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
I don't think getting more hens will change his crowing. Roosters just crow. They do it to communicate to other roos that they are the top dogs, and to talk to their hens. For some reason they feel the need to wake everyone up two hours before daylight. Some crow all night so feel lucky he doesn't do that.

What does his crow sound like? I love to hear the new ones learning to crow. Sometimes it is a pitiful sound for a few weeks. It will probably get louder if he has only been crowing for 2 days.

I have 6 and I hear them in the middle of the night sometimes, but have gotten pretty used to it. It's music to my ears. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If the pictures are current he is certainly not an old rooster. Roosters, when they are teenagers, do a lot of odd stuff - such as crow continuously - because they old enough to have certain things go in in their bodies that enable them to this stuff, but aren't mature enough to know when and where to do it. Think of them as being 14-18 year old boys who are reaching sexual maturity and just want to scream with their new voices and become the next Casanova. As they get older and wiser, they usually quit such rampant displays.

Some roosters never outgrow this phase, I hope yours does!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, he hatched 27th September 13 so he is still young. Fingers crossed he will grow out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Chicken Forum

·
Registered
393 Posts
if you want to keep him with out your neighbors getting annoyed, You can get him decrowed (a medical procedure that the best way to describe is like neutering the voice box). Otherwise nothing will stop him from crowing.

It's either that or giving him away or making him dinner

Those are the only 3 options you have to get a rooster to stop crowing

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having a different problem. my rooster won't stop breeding the hens and has actually cut their sides open with his nails. They are BLRW and will be a year old April 1st. What to do?

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
I'm having a different problem. my rooster won't stop breeding the hens and has actually cut their sides open with his nails. They are BLRW and will be a year old April 1st. What to do?
Remove the rooster until a later date. He needs some maturing to slow the behavior down. No sense in making the females suffer.

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
The crowing has nothing to do with being separated. I can hear my youngest one crowing at all different times all through the night. He's the only one doing it, none of my older boys crow after dark unless its a full moon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts