·
Registered
772 Posts
I think it's probably a hen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a pic of its head. I turned my back after i gave some of the chicks scratch. and it walked very quickly up behind me almost as if it was kicking me out of the coop area. Borderline a charge. So I just thought the tail was questionable. It is a production red pullet. Or so they said

image-3833671099.jpg

Attachments

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
No, she's just being a mean little "b" to you! Show her who's boss, and pick her up and carry her around loving on her. She will hate it, and stay FAR away!! :cool:

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Stands like a guy but that could just be the circumstance of the pic. How old? Do you have any other pics of her/him in action?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh Bee,
I got the six chicks in June and they were all supposed to be about 10 days old! So... They're about 13-15 weeks old?!!
This black/grey barred was the little runt, and wouldn't even open her/his eyes and we thought she was blind. She is very bossy with the rest of the flock, but very sweet and docile towards me.
I am totally clueless about their breeds.
But the guy who gave them to me assured me they were all girls!
I would die if I had a rooster that would be waking up the neighbors here.
Thanks so much for being so fast at answering all of my questions!

image-4065986158.jpg

Attachments

·
Scrambled Eggs
88 Posts
Can not see any hackles, No head hackles. Does it have the start of the spikes? Just a little ways up the back of the legs.

You can see the hackles on this five month old rooster. Look at the head hackles. The start of the spikes.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here, in the absence of getting a close look at hackles and saddle feathers, and say that it sort of looks like a cockerel...especially compared to the other birds you have there of similar age.

Quite often I have found that a cockerel chick will be smaller than the pullets when very young but soon you will see them grow leggier and taller, though their tails still look a little runty compared to the pullets.

A BR seems to be the hardest to determine sex on for most folks until their distinct male characteristics kick in, in the form of hackle and saddle feathers.

It's a good looking bird and, if indeed a male, could be easily sold...I'd ask $10-$15 for him, at the least, more if the prices in your area dictate it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you Bee.

I'll try to take a few different pictures of "Blink" tomorrow and try to picture the different characteristics you've described!
LOL I wouldn't even know who to sell my rooster to...
And I sure wouldn't have what it takes to have a rooster dinner!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am so worried about the possibility of my Blinky being a rooster, I can't even sleep!
Maybe the fermented feed made her look so "Buffy"...lol
I have noticed a distinctive (positive) difference in their condition! Thanks again, Bee!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks all!

I will "attempt" to verify all the hackles and spikes tomorrow!
I had chickens when my children were little, and now I've decided to have them again as a grandma!
Amazing that I can't remember much... "CRS" LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts