Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to tractor supply a month ago and I got 6 pullets. Three are tertra tint bred. One of the alleged pullets grew twice as fast as the rest is a little more aggressive and also has big tail feathers. It was the first to try and get out of the brooder, It also squared off to another one of my birds yesterday and pecked at it really hard. Then I thought what if that bird is a roo as well!!! Ugh. Why do you all think? I'm new to the board so let me know if the picture uploaded properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
mcchicken said:
So I went to tractor supply a month ago and I got 6 pullets. Three are tertra tint bred. One of the alleged pullets grew twice as fast as the rest is a little more aggressive and also has big tail feathers. It was the first to try and get out of the brooder, It also squared off to another one of my birds yesterday and pecked at it really hard. Then I thought what if that bird is a roo as well!!! Ugh. Why do you all think? I'm new to the board so let me know if the picture uploaded properly.
Those are signs I have seen in mine. There are several chicks in that pic, look to be maybe buff orpington( hard to tell until they get older) and the white ones could go a variety of breeds. Try to get a pic of the one you are thinking to be roo, include one with the top of the back and might be able to guess a little better.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
None scream rooster to me. But thats me. I do know that my females squared off with each other and still do at times.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
None scream rooster to me as well. However females will square off beak to beak and fight up in the air, just like roosters. They will also mount each other and flatten to the ground to show superiority. They are young and working on their pecking order. It starts early!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I think that may be the case. Hens trying to figure out the pecking order. I'm new to having chickens.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have two reds that I got from tsc too and one looks exactly like the dark ones you have. What breed where they supposed to be? I was told RIR but I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I think that may be the case. Hens trying to figure out the pecking order. I'm new to having chickens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts