Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chicken Momma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Rooster Sir Charles is a Polish Breed. He about 8 months old. He has been hand raised - we got him as a few weeks old. I have noticed him puffing up his chest but never towards me. My great-nephew however is a different story. Well the other day when I went to go pet a hen he came and pecked me. I was surprised but thought I might have startled him. He then did it today again but harder while once again I went to pat a hen and was giving treats. This time I was with a 2 year old and her Mom. Then a bit later he got on a younger hen! UGH!!! So much for me saying how well behaved my flock is and how friendly they are.
Well time for their dinner feeding and upon entering the run he started puffing up his chest coming towards me. So weird has he has always let me pick him up or let me pet him. I have always found him to be very bright as he before we got a better water system would crow to let me know they needed water. He crows when he hears me drive up and then has the girls come out to greet me. There is a younger Roo - he is about 6 months and a Silkie. No problem with him so far. There are 14 hens - mixed breeds. What are you thoughts? I know he is maybe just protecting his girls but I don't want a mean Roo, especially with young children around.

·
174 Posts
My Roo went through a "teenage" period where he got mean and attacked our feet/ankles and hands. He is also worse around my son so I have to keep reminding my son to not be afraid of him. The roo must see him as a threat to the hens. I think he was full of hormones as he has since settled down as he gets older. I also carry him around any time I get the chance (and yes, sometimes bring him in the house with me to sit on my lap, don't tell anyone, haha). Also, carry him like a baby and rub his tummy so you can show him you are the head Roo. Please don't lose hope yet!

·
977 Posts
I totally agree with Lissa. Keep trying , don't be scared of him. Keep picking him up, carrying him around. My rooster was my baby. Held him every night. He went thru his MANLY phase too but I just continued to hold and talk to him. Do be careful of young kids around him though. Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
He's protecting his girls! You need to show him that you aren't a threat to his girls. That you're on the same team. My head Roo and I always have that kind of working relationship.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have one rooster out of 4 that is/was agressive, he never bothered me untill one day. I had my 4 yr old daughter with me, and he went after her. She started crying and I picked her up. Now that rooster started after me, after a few boots didn't work, I swung a rolled up electical cord at him while he was mid air. I just happen to have it with me, my only reason I went out to the barn.

That did it he hasn't bothered any one since. And no he is not dead. He did learn his lesson. All 4 of my rooster look alike so I couldn't just get rid of one and hope he was the right one. I could not kill him in front of my 4 year old.

·
Chicken Momma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have been watching Sir Charles. I do want to give him a chance. He is a pet first so I am hoping that his actions were a fluke. I have been able to enter both the run and coop with out a problem. He does watch me though. My stepdaughters came for a visit 2 & 5 and he was fine while they were giving the flock pumpkin seeds. I too believe in being responsible so I will keep an eye on him. He does come around when I am feeding them or checking on them. What was funny last night was the younger Roo Delphino was sleeping with him. Delphino is fine - doesn't charge just walks around happy clumsy. One other thing I did notice and I think this must be due to Sir Charles - when I go pick up the girls they squat down. They are fine once I pick them up but it's weird! Is there a way to show Sir Charles nicely that I am in charge but understand he is protecting his girls?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts