Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is very hard to predict. Some of my hatches almost all were roos and here as of lately I have been having better luck with more girls hatching. Now I just jinxed myself! I bet I will be hatching more roos now! ;)

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
According to Wiki, the answer is 60:40. The average ratio of hens to roosters in a hatch is 60:40. 60 hens, 40 roosters. Wiki must not have ever tried to hatch chickens. :mad:

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Mother Nature hates me, the year that I had broody go through the flock like a disease I did a tally and had something like 75% males. It was several years before I had another hen hatch out peeps and out of 9 eggs, 4 were duds, 4 boys, 1 girl. So 80%.

Everything I have ever read was Mother Nature keeps things even, about 50/50, just not in my neck of the woods. If you are going to hatch yourself you had better have a plan in place to deal with 50% + male peeps.

·
1,466 Posts
Mother Nature hates me, the year that I had broody go through the flock like a disease I did a tally and had something like 75% males. It was several years before I had another hen hatch out peeps and out of 9 eggs, 4 were duds, 4 boys, 1 girl. So 80%.

Everything I have ever read was Mother Nature keeps things even, about 50/50, just not in my neck of the woods. If you are going to hatch yourself you had better have a plan in place to deal with 50% + male peeps.
fatten up the boys & send them to camp
mother nature is looking out for you
she wants your freezer to stay full :D

·
Registered
839 Posts
Roslyn said:

It seems like everyone hatching around here last year had the same issues 70-80% boys. There was a lot of butchering going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts