Rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Emiliep40, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Emiliep40

Emiliep40 New Member

I’m a new chicken owner! Probably going to ask a lot of questions haha! My first question... is this brown/white one a rooster or a hen? My friend that raises them and sold me them just saw a picture and said she might be a he!! So just trying to get a idea! They are about 4 months old![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Your friend could be right. But to play it safe I'll holler at a couple of people that are better at sexing young birds than I am.

And welcome to the forum. Ask away, it's why this forum exists to help each other.

3. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a beautiful rooster to me

4. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Definitely a rooster

5. Maryellen

The round neck feathers though look hen. What kind of chicken Is this?

6. Emiliep40

Emiliep40 New Member

It was a barn yard mix she had found after her breeding so don’t for sure know!

7. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Even though I don't do well sexing these guys, I did see the neck feathers. But those extra long legs and feather development in the tail area made me think male. What I also questioned was comb color.

mitzy123point and Maryellen like this.
  8. Maryellen

Barn mixes are the worst until they get to a older age lol. With the rounded neck feathers I'd lean to hen,but with the height and tail and size rooster like I said earlier. The coloring is flashy like a rooster though.

9. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

The comb says hen to me but the tail does look a little roo-ish. we may have to wait and see