Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were only going to to keep one rooster in your flock what would it be?? Personally I would like one that is duel purpose, will produce good layers and still keep some meat on their bones for the stew pot.. What would be your choice and any suggestions for my situation?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Barred Rock ;) In my opinion they are a great dual purpose breed and lay an egg just about everyday. I just picked up my first BR rooster this year but have had a hen for over a year now and she is nice and plump and is my best layer. I've also picked up 11 more females this year as well. I'm hoping by next year I can weed out and non BR breeds in my flock and just stick with Barred Rocks. Well and the few chickens my kids are showing for 4-H.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear more and more people talking about those birds, they seem to be more of like an old farm house type of chicken if you know what I mean, back before grocery stores. I might have to give them a try!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a nice looking rooster! What breed is he exactly? A buddy of mine has some Doms he said I could get a rooster from him see how I like them so I think that's what I will do! I like variety :)

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
That is a nice looking rooster! What breed is he exactly?
He was my surprise boy in my batch of 9 Americana "female only" peeps. He is top Cock of the Flock and takes his job seriously. He also stops traffic out front. Many cars will slow down and even stop when Cocky Rocky is leading a band of women through the grass in the yard! :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That surprise happens a lot LoL.. I was sure these pullets I recently got from TSC would have a rooster in the bunch but all girls! :p

·
5 Posts
Rooster of choice?

I have 3 differant roosters in 3 seperate flocks. I Welsumer cockbird with the Welsumer flock, a Speckled sussex with his group of pullets, and a Black Australorp rooster with about 20 hens. Also have a young flock of Golden Laced Wyandottes. I try to keep them breeding true instead of mixing the flocks atleast dureing the season for hatching eggs. It costs just as much to feed a mongrel as it does to feed a purebred & the purebred is worth more in the longrun. If you are going to keep a mixed flock just for fun , it is best to stay away from the light breeds , Wyandottes & Rocks are always good choices for dual purpose breeds . Americaunas lay a nice egg but the roosters tend to be abit on the miserable side (almost like a game rooster). Orpingtons are also a good choice. I guess the bottom line is you have to choose what suits you best!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my big Rhode Island Red. BIG RED HOLLAND, after a local tv personality. He's BIG and very protective of his girls. But he is loud and proud:p, and can be heard easily lol.But I love watching him strut around the yard!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a light sussex. He is gorgeous and gentle. The breed is happy with a fenced in yard and doesn't care to escape, which is nice. Both the male and female will grow relatively fast and are a generous eating size and good layers. I have a mixed flock and am now letting one of my girls hatch and raise his mix breed babies. I am hoping that they all have his temperament.

I used to say that I would not keep a rooster because they get aggressive; he changed my mind. I have become very attached to him.
He is white with a beautiful silver main and tail. He is so pretty. And he is huge. And he is gentle with the girls, with me, with my 2 year old niece and 5 year old nephew.

Can you tell that I love this rooster.

I would recommend the light sussex to anyone.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Currently I have an old Partridge Rock ...

Soon my Delawares will be mature and I'll have a few roosters like this...

If I could only choose one breed of cockbird, I'd choose a White Rock. One like this one!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Currently I have an old Partridge Rock ...

Soon my Delawares will be mature and I'll have a few roosters like this...

If I could only choose one breed of cockbird, I'd choose a White Rock. One like this one!
The partrige rock is very handsone! Classic rooster coloring

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would keep my non-bearded white Silkie, Sir Lawrence. He is great! He keeps watch constantly to make sure the girls are safe. He will attack our dogs if they get too close & he growls at the neighbor's dog when it looks through the fence. I've never heard a chicken growl, but he does. He clucks to the girls when he finds treats but he may "romance" you instead.:eek: When they are free ranging, he moves them around the yard depending on what's going on. He keeps them under the coop when anyone is laying eggs then moves the flock around from shady spot to shady spot now that its over 100 degrees. Sir Lawrence never rests & roosts, so he can look out the window & spot any danger.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ameraucana hands down. Been that way for years now and won't change it ever again.

I have a gorgeous silver Ameraucana roo that sires excellent brood!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts