Rooster Is Too Mean?

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by BarredRock123, Sep 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Have a BR rooster and he's been pecking at the hens A WHOLE lot harder than usual. No blood yet, hopefully.
    Thanks

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

A mean rooster around here gets the axe ... Just the way it is ...

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Can you separate him for a bit? I have 3 barred rock hens and they are my most aggressive girls, especially to a newbie chicken.

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Cull time......

5. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Hahaha! Wish I had the guts to do that! :D

6. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Cull him ,ask some who knows how if you feel you cannot cull him .
    There are plenty of nice roosters needing a good home with a few girls.

7. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Then I agree with oakwood, you need to find someone who will. Ask around ...

Best of luck ...

8. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

My rooster has been a little agressive with me lately, bowing his feathers out and scaring me. I started using what I call the rooster stick. I point it at him and keep him at distance. I don't hit him with with it, although I have tapped his fuzzie butt a few times. No cull the Outlaw!!

Attached Files:

9. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

I think I may need a "rooster Stick" also... I have a Rhode Island Red boy named Roger, he is getting a little to big for his boots, I pin him down every now and again to let him know whose boss,(thanks to some very helpful peoples on this forum giving me good tips) it seems to work..

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Part of the responsibility of caring for animals is having to do the tough stuff. You cannot pass along that bad behavior to the next owner that may have a young child. Do it yourself, or find someone who can.

11. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I'm telling you, a long handled fishing net is good stuff for taking a rooster down a notch or two. I used one to cap over a mean little piss I had, or I could keep him at bay with it, when he had "that" look in his eye.

12. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Well I ain't giving up on my Roger The Rooster, he is mine for the long haul, I still remember him as a bossy little ball of yellow fluff.... I will keep at him, and a long handled fishing net sounds good to me, when he gets that look in his eye, the feathers gets fluffed and he wants to round me up...

13. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Okay, I took BootedBatam's advice and used a rooster stick. He's got the idea that when I come over with the stick, he shouldn't be pecking at the hens. Thanks!! :D

14. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Still working on it till he surely knows though :)

15. BootedBantam

Advice from me LOL My rooster scared me again this morning, fast out the gate ready to pounce. He knew I was scared. GRR! He wouldn't even let me walk to the shed for food. After three tries, I stared him down from the porch, he finally let me go to shed. I just got this rooster a coop and hennies and look how he treats me... What?

16. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

A broom worked with my first rooster. If he got out of hand you just needed to sweep his butt and he would walk away bi*ching and moaning, but he respected the broom.

However, my MIL (heehee) was really weird the first time she came to visit after he was full grown. She went on the offensive and got out of her car, grabbed the fat plastic wiffle ball bat of the kids and went after the rooster for NO REASON. Rudy was a good boy, and he just needed the broom on occasion, but since we weren't home I guess she thought she knew what to do. Well, since she started it, he laid into her BUT GOOD. Her legs were pretty torn up and she had several puncture holes from his spurs. I can just imagine what it looked like, and I'm sorry to say I didn't get to watch!!!!

The funny thing is, he never did that to ANYONE else, just her. D*mn I miss Rudy, my Anti-In-Law Rooster!!!

Attached Files:

17. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

He can do more than peck and chase you. He can lay you open, or lay open children. I was cut to the point that I thought I might need stitches, and others have had to have stitches. They aren't so cute when they are dangerous and harm small children.:(

18. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I agree ... I've seen what they can do and it is not pretty. I think that has a lot to do with the way I handle a mean roo.

19. BootedBantam

I know about the children, something we haven't discussed on here. I tell my daughter to stick out her foot and that is how far she needs to be away from. I also told her not to bend down in front of him. She is good with the girls. She holds them and walks around, but Outlaw is watching her with the chickens. She knows where I keep the rooster stick, too. He calmed down today after being out for a while, we will see his attitude tomorrow morning. I might invest in the fish net.

Glad the stick is working for you. I have also used the broom and a grabbed a chair to block him.

20. piglett

piglett Senior Member

when your hens hatch out a batch for you the babys mite have that trait too. give the thing away on craigslist (explain the problem with him) & get yourself a better boy asap. i bet if he spent a few weeks in with my adult roos he would be a much better boy :D good luck

piglett