Rooster Got Strangled/Neck Broke

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by Keith, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

I woke up this morning and my only rooster was dead. I can only speculate but I think a raccoon reached in, grabbed his neck and broke it or strangled him. He was against the wire and his neck was bent. I even double wrapped the coop in chicken wire to avoid them reaching in. I guess I have to set more traps tonight, sad, he was 5 months old and just a beautiful bird. Wish I had a photo.

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Sorry to hear that ... I would vote coon or weasel. Which ever good luck with getting the critter.

3. rob

rob New Member

sorry to hear that keith.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

That's awful! =(

5. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I'm sorry Keith, how sad. That right there is reason #1 why I won't use chicken wire; I use hardware cloth. Too dang many coons around here.

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Awwwww.... poor baby. Set traps!!

7. patlet

patlet New Member

Weasels grab with their teeth only. If the poor bird's neck wasn't torn, then it was probably a raccoon. If its any consolation, your rooster was killed while jumping at the fence to protect his flock. He was a hero. And since the raccoon was unsuccessful and there is no other easy food, it may have moved on. Sorry for your loss.

8. rob

rob New Member

racoons seem very nasty critters ! so glad we havent got them over here.

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

We do too. The smallest size gauge for fencing and locked up like Fort Knox for bedtime. Poor fella. :(

10. EmmaJB

EmmaJB New Member

Snap, my entire run is 1/2" by 1" galvanised weld mesh dug and curled into the ground, the roof is corrugated plastic (sparrow hawks are buggers, but protected :/ ), so fingers crossed my babies are safe from diggers, flyers and climbers.

And I too am glad we don't have raccoons here, I've read so many horror stories.

Sorry for your loss.

X

11. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Thats to bad Keith, I had a hen disappear recently. I suppect raccoons too, they like to grab and go.