Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and my only rooster was dead. I can only speculate but I think a raccoon reached in, grabbed his neck and broke it or strangled him. He was against the wire and his neck was bent. I even double wrapped the coop in chicken wire to avoid them reaching in. I guess I have to set more traps tonight, sad, he was 5 months old and just a beautiful bird. Wish I had a photo.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Sorry to hear that ... I would vote **** or weasel. Which ever good luck with getting the critter.

·
441 Posts
I'm sorry Keith, how sad. That right there is reason #1 why I won't use chicken wire; I use hardware cloth. Too dang many ***** around here.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Weasels grab with their teeth only. If the poor bird's neck wasn't torn, then it was probably a raccoon. If its any consolation, your rooster was killed while jumping at the fence to protect his flock. He was a hero. And since the raccoon was unsuccessful and there is no other easy food, it may have moved on. Sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I'm sorry Keith, how sad. That right there is reason #1 why I won't use chicken wire; I use hardware cloth. Too dang many ***** around here.
We do too. The smallest size gauge for fencing and locked up like Fort Knox for bedtime. Poor fella. :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Snap, my entire run is 1/2" by 1" galvanised weld mesh dug and curled into the ground, the roof is corrugated plastic (sparrow hawks are buggers, but protected :/ ), so fingers crossed my babies are safe from diggers, flyers and climbers.

And I too am glad we don't have raccoons here, I've read so many horror stories.

Sorry for your loss.

X

1 - 11 of 11 Posts