Rooster friendly or aggression????

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by geminicowgirl, Oct 11, 2012.

1. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

I I amnre to owning chickens, I have 3 hens and one Roo, he seems friendly but I wouldn't know a threatening gesture if it slapped me in the face. He runs behind me when I open the coop and follows me around like a lost puppy he keeps a few feet between us at all times. I don't know if he just really likes me or if he is actually thinking he is driving me away from his girls, please help...

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

He's probably just curious about you and what you're doing. If he didn't like you, he'd let you know. You wouldn't be able to get near him or his girls. How old is he?

3. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

He will be 2 in the spring, I am more familiar with dog and horse behavior so I wasn't sure if there was a sound or posture that was threatening. I try and stay calm and unafraid around him but sometimes he makes me a bit nervous

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Good job keeping calm around him. They're smart and can pick up on it if you let them know you are remotely scared. The ones I have been around are a lot like hens when hens are mean or have an attitude. Do the same thing as a hen only + the wicked spurs. ;) Toss him a treat next time he's following you and see what he does. He'll REALLY love you then. :D

5. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

He just thinks you are the head chicken in his flock... he knows where his food comes from. Mine all love to follow and hang around while I am doing things in the yard.

6. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

A first time threat will be him bumping the back of your legs with his chest. It's a test to see what you do when he invades your personal space. If you turn around and go after him it's settled that you are a threat to him and his girls. If you ignore it, it may stop or it may escalate into him jumping and hitting your legs with his claws or him pecking your legs and running away.

A threatening gesture would be him standing with his head down a little, wings a little out from his body and his neck feathers raised up and out (hackles). This is a pre-charge stance and he's getting ready for his opening to jump on you. He may also growl at you, in a chicken way.

If he skips in front of you and then does a weird little dance and has one wing down to the ground and there is a LOT of little coos coming from him. Well, he's just trying to tell you that YOU are one of his girls and he's the boss. This isn't aggression, he's just trying to impress you.

If he is 2 years old and hasn't acted with aggression he probably won't unless he's teased or provoked. Usually aggression appears very early, even as a peep!! If he's following you he may just be keeping an eye on you. I agree with the others, toss him and the girls a treat and don't harass the flock and he will see you as an ally, not an enemy.

7. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

I am forever trying to get them to eat out of my hands (bowl that I hold) and they get treats daily, I am always trying to win them over. Sounds like he isn't being aggressive at all. He is always "talking" but not growling

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

They'll come around. The more you are around them and try to handle them, the more they will tame up. I have one right now that is super skittish. The crew she was with she had grown up with. They turned on her and pecked her so bad she had to be separated for a few months. Owner finally decided it was time to find her a new home or put her in the fridge. Softy me, I took her. I've had her since Tuesday night. She's not been handled much at all till now. Already she's starting to come around. Actually flew 10 feet to get to me when I walked back outside just to be nearby. Its going to take a while to get her to mesh in with my other girls. Even my new little year old banty I just took in a week ago is a royal sass to her. Well, she is a sass to everyone. Took her 2 days and she was in the coop with the big girls. Little miss attitude she is. ;) Sometimes it takes some longer than others to warm up. Kind of like people. :) You'll have to post us a pic of your roo. He sounds adorable. :)

9. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

Today after work my Roo and his main squeeze Boca actually came running to me at my patio door .... I nearly died lol, I was so excited, THEY LOVE ME.

10. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

That's him "BobCat"

Attached Files:

11. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

7chicks, hope your new gal settles in nicely, sounds like she could use some quiet time. Good luck introducing her to your flock

12. adorson

adorson New Member

I love roosters. They quickly become my favorites here because they are just so full of personality! Yours does not sound like he is showing aggression and sounds like a good Roo. I have one evil rooster here, my only one ever and I agree, you will know if they have it out for you! The rest of the boys can all be held and cuddled. Two of my boys will protect from the evil one.

13. BigECart

BigECart New Member

How do you keep your roosters? Separated or with the flock? I'm planning on getting chicks next spring from Carter's Legacy, and it looks like the breeds I'll be getting will be SR. I'm not convinced that I can rehome the roos, so am working on a contingency plan to keep them. I was thinking about splitting the run into two sections - his & hers.

14. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

I may not be much help because I have 3 hens and one Roo but from what I know about male animals in general is they need a harem of gals to keep them "busy" not only for breeding purposes but hens keep them working by needing a referee and a protector. An all male crew could lead to a testosterone fueled gang of horny and frustrated boys who will just fight... Just my 2 cents

15. adorson

adorson New Member

I have 4 areas. The large barn has most of the roos in with a bunch of girls and the other 3 areas have between 1 to 4 roosters. There for awhile it seemed I only hatched roosters! LOL I just sold 16 boys the other week and still have more that can go. For the most part they do not fight much, just little spats when an outsider roo invades their space. Mine free range during the day and they seem to pick their areas where they take their girls, kind of like sub-flocks within the flock. But there is still a head roo over all that can go where he pleases. LOL They have alot of space that they can go to which I think makes a difference. If you have a smaller space, it might not work out so well. I did try a bachelor pen for the boys once when I was just starting out and that did not go over well at all. They ganged up on one boy so I decided not to do that again although I hear it works for some people. Some boys get along well with other boys while others don't. They also seem to act worse when they are younger and coming of age but once they get through that, they do settle down a bit.

16. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Agree 100% I don't have any problems with my boys, they all free range 100% of the time, and have their females and a daily routine. I've never raised chickens in a small environment, I really think that's a lot of it, mother nature is in control.