Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could a rooster determine what breed a chick is? There's two options of what a new chick could be, and it's either a cornish rock (which would be only from the rooster), or a light brahma (two of our hens) since no other of our chickens were yellow as chicks.
The hen that's broody is a gray Olive Egger and we have several different roosters.
Any help would be great :)
Bird Beak Chicken Poultry Phasianidae

·
Registered
182 Posts
The chick will not be a brahma or a cornish rock.
It gets half of it's genes from the father and half from the mother. So it is a mix.
The rooster doesn't determine what "breed" the chick is, but it does determine half the mix.

Are the only option for mothers either LB or OE? If you don't know what color egg it came from, (if you do, brown = LB mix and green = OE mix.) what comb type does your OE have?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chick will not be a brahma or a cornish rock.
It gets half of it's genes from the father and half from the mother. So it is a mix.
The rooster doesn't determine what "breed" the chick is, but it does determine half the mix.

Are the only option for mothers either LB or OE? If you don't know what color egg it came from, (if you do, brown = LB mix and green = OE mix.) what comb type does your OE have?
There's other hens as well, we've got a rhode island red hen who I definitely know has some eggs in there. Some others I'm not sure of the breed (2 black ones and a black and white one). It's a brown egg, so not the olive egger's.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
When crossbreeding the chicks can look like either parent or be a combination of the two or even a blending; it all depends on the genes, whether they are dominant, recessive, incomplete dominant, etc. This chick is the product of red parentage and white parentage, and is a blend of the two colors.

Bird Beak Feather Wing Tail

·
Registered
182 Posts
There's other hens as well, we've got a rhode island red hen who I definitely know has some eggs in there. Some others I'm not sure of the breed (2 black ones and a black and white one). It's a brown egg, so not the olive egger's.
Alright. Well currently I'm guessing the brahma is the mother due to the pea comb. Do you have pictures of your mystery chickens?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts