Rooster attack

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by ronbo, Aug 18, 2012.

1. ronbo

ronbo New Member

How do I stop rooster from jumping on me?

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Aggressive roosters become dinner at my house !

3. chickenman18

chickenman18 New Member

Pick it up and start hugging it he will soon stop

4. adorson

adorson New Member

If you do try the carrying around method, be very careful where you place the roosters head. I did this with my boy and it seemed like he was chilling out and going to behave so I let my guard down and almost lost my lip!

5. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Show him who is boss. Jump on him first. He will learn to stay away from you.

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Proper way to hold an aggressive rooster is tail in front and head/neck between your elbow and side/waist. Just walk around with him, this calms them down almost puts them in a trance like state. Try it.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I used the hold'em method for dogs, cats, and chickens. It's kinda like bonding.

8. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I agree ...

With Grandkids around ... I will not take that chance.

9. hockeychick

hockeychick Junior Member

I have only had 2 roosters, but we would keep them in the house for a week or two and handle them excessively so that they would get used to us. The first rooster (partridge cochin) became very friendly and liked to be handled. This guy, Stoli is not so friendly with people, but he has never, ever gone after a person. We still make a point of holding him from time to time to remind him who is in charge.

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I agree completely with Hockeychick. I used to bring my Roo in to watch TV with me every evening. That was our bonding time and gave the hens a little break. Connect.

11. Julienkc

Julienkc New Member

x2 Not grandkids, but my own though. I've managed to stop aggressive roosters from coming after me, but unless you can get everyone who comes into contact with the roo on the same program it's only been successful in my experience at stopping the roo from attacking you. Not everyone else. I don't take chances anymore, and I don't tolerate meanness towards people in my birds any longer. If I lived alone, and didn't have many visitors maybe.

12. woodsman

woodsman New Member

make him dinner i did my rooster today, was attacking my wife so he had to go.

13. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I have gamecocks that won't attack me. I let my son who is two years old run around my yard. I can't afford to have a frolicking rooster. I had one that jumped out at my wife so I shot him. But gamecocks are suppose to be crazy mean. But it's all in how u raise them. Here's a pic of me holding a "crazy" gamecock

Attached Files:

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I agree. Same goes for put bulls. It's all about what they are taught or how they are raised up. Nice looking Roo By the way.

15. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I carried a long handled fishing net in the coop, and if Barney got froggy, I'd cap it over him, and just go about my business. By the time I got thru feeding and watering, he was a new man. He acted right for a few weeks, then he'd get that look in his eye again!! Or, if I just went in for the heck of it, I'd carry a water pistol, and wash his face. He'd leave me alone. They didn't have the battery operated bug killers shaped like tennis rackets when I had him...:p

16. foxrfarm

foxrfarm New Member

Bringing Roosters in the House?

Okay, this may seem like a stupid question, but don't they poop all over you if you watch TV with them? Is there a chicken diaper out there that I don't know about?:p

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yes there is a chicken diaper. Mine never pooped in the house. He just didn't but I'm not sure why. My conure poops on my floor a couple times a day. He even aims. Lol

18. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I'm sorry but I do not agree with this, when it comes to a Roo ... First I treat all my critters very well. (till they turn)

They are the money in the bank or food for the table. My roo's have "free range" and my girls are in a lot.

So it is not all about what they are taught or how they are raised up. IMO ;) sometimes it is just the critter.

This is IMO ... and from 30 odd years dealing with them ... What can I say????

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

It seems your birds are raised in a more natural way. Lots of these backyard chickens are pets that are handled daily. It's just what the bird is used to. Nothing wrong with either choice. It's just a choice. If that's what works for you, great.

20. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

It doesn't matter how something is raised(it does help), it is the nature of the animal. Some just have more nature than others. I never had a rooster attack people before, now I have one. I never treated them any differntly.In fact the kids have always handled them since chicks. I have had different kinds of dogs, the most aggressive dog I had was never treated badly. It was just the way she was, and she wasnt a pit or rot. My nicest dog who would not hurt a flea, came close to attacking my daugters friend. Granted she was going to ride her, but the dog is getting older and changing.

They are animals and should always be treated with respect , you never know when they might turn bad. The same could be said about people.