Featured Rooster acting crazy suggestions

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by dmkrieg, Oct 5, 2017.

1. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

I have a light Brahma Rooster that keeps biting the hens in he neck and actually will have feather in his mouth. Why on earth would he start doing that. They actually scream!

2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Young bird? He's working into maturity and might have to be removed until and and the girls mature more.

3. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

It's a dominance thing esp if he's a young roo. They all do it. My BO has his faves and some that he picks on. You may need to separate him and let him chill a bit.

4. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

He was born June 15th and was supposed to be a pullet but we all know how that goes. Haha The bad thing is trying to figure out how to separate him. I could put a wire wall between them but if I’m not going to raise light Brahmas is there any reason really for me to keep him? My 6 Brahma hens are so incredibly sweet but honestly I worry he may try and injure one of my other hens or roosters. This morning I went out before the sun was fully up and my two silkie Roosters we’re outside in their run and my white silkie seems not herself. Im wondering what happened in the coop area last night to cause this behavior. I thought I had plenty of space for everyone’s I turned one side of my pole barn into a huge cage for my chickens with a large run in that is 30 x 16 with Hawk netting covering it. I may have to close him into one stall by himself or let
    Him free range

5. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

That's what they do , bite them by the neck and force them to mate.

6. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

Thank you all for always being there when I have a chicken meltdown! Hahaha I couldn’t imagine doing this without you guys. I do love my chickens!

7. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Young roosters can be very aggressive with the hens and cause injuries,including fatal injuries.I confine those roosters for a few weeks/months(depends on the rooster)until they mature a little more and quit acting like teen-aged boys.LB's are usually docile.If you can separate him for a little while,I'm sure you'll be glad you did.

dmkrieg likes this.
  8. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

Im definitely going to do that tonight. I really worry about my favorite Brahma hen that he has been bullying.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

I would get rid of him and get a silkie rooster. Makes an even playing ground. I'm not a fan of hens hiding from a roo.

dmkrieg likes this.
  10. robin416

You all need a hen like I had. She would take him to school for his behavior. She put him in a corner more than once. By the time she was done he was never a concern again.

chickenqueen likes this.
  11. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

Well I came home after work ready to separate my Rooster and I think he killed one of my Blue silkie.

12. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

13. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

I did get him separated from the rest but not sure if I’m keeping him or not after that. I have. Little silkie Rooster and he is the sweetest little guy. I think I actually have 2 silkies that are Roosters. The only reason my friend told me that he may be good to keep around when he is older is for snakes that may come into the barn. What are your thought? Im so bummed about my silkie hen. Im not even 100% sure it was him but given how he’s been acting it makes sense

14. robin416

I doubt he's the reason. They do die for reasons we will never know without a necropsy.

I don't know why your friend thinks having a rooster is important for snakes. That doesn't really make any sense. You keep roosters because they are more alert than the females and tell them about potential danger, for fertile eggs, and for the pure entertainment roosters seem to provide.

15. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

I think she was thinking he would maybe go after a
    Snake if it got in there. Not that she would know that’s why I thought I would check with you all since you all have WAYYYY more experience than her or I.

My Roosters are all still young since I just started with them in April of this year, so I haven’t seen a lot
    Of behavior that I would say is entertaining to this point. How do the older Roosters act that make them entertaining? Sorry if that question seems odd , but remember I’m still very new.

16. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

If there are 2 roosters, they can fight to the death.

17. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

The one that died I believe was a hen. She was so pretty and was the color of ash where it is a Blue grey. She never crowed but I have heard my two black silkies crow. So I was really worried with having them around a Brahma Rooster. Do you think they could be together in the future or is it best that I just get rid of the Brahma Rooster. He was guaranteed to be a pullet so I could bring him back to where I got him

18. robin416

I think you've confused yourself now on what you want to do. Time to back up and think about what direction you'd like to see things go.

Yes, multiple roosters can live together. Those that don't have "I am the King of the Hill" attitudes can live comfortably with another rooster. I had a Silkie Rooster, d'Uccle, and faverolle free ranging with their hens all the time without issues.

Can an over rambunctious rooster hurt a hen? Yes, they can. Is it common? No. Did two six month old roosters go at each other so hard that one died? Only if the one had congenital abnormalities that caused heart failure. There would be blood and feathers every where if they had gotten into it that hard.

If you want to have a better idea on whether your Silkies are male or female get some good side shots that are not too far away.

dmkrieg likes this.
  19. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

Robin416- I honestly don’t know what I would do without you guys!! Makes perfect sense to me. I absolutely love my silkies and it was quite devastating to lose one of my favorite hens. I have 2 black silkies that were crowing up a storm this morning. One more than the other but the other black and my little white silkie are so calm and never make a sound. In taking photos is there a certain angle you are looking for to be able to tel. They look like major fluff balls to me. Hahaha

IMG_4268.jpg IMG_4282.jpg

20. robin416

Not great pics but the first one looks female, the partridge looks female, the guy in the tub is well, a guy. I can't tell with the white one next to the tub or the one that is doing some chicken hunting.

And you're going to have to do hair cutting on that white. If you can't see the eyes when looking face on at them, they can't see. I always hated that chore because it worried me they'd move at the wrong moment. Never had any accidents, luckily.