Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having troubles getting my flocks to roost on they roost I built. I've tried ladder roost and was unsuccessful. I'm trying a single roost pole now any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

image-4156095988.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Leave then be. IF they want to roost they will jump up there. Some chickens just prefer to be on the ground. About half my flock hangs out on the ground the other half roosts and there is more than enough space for them all on the roosts.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
And you said a pole, is that a metal pole? A roost needs to be wood, and flat. Wood, so that it won't be so cold, and flat, so that when the temps do drop, they can keep their feet flat, and sit on their feet, keep the feet warm, too! We used a 2x4 rafter that they roosted in. That is, the ones that roosted. The others would just get on a milk crate off the ground. They just wouldn't roost. Some will, and some won't.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got back from the coop and my 2 yr olds are on the roost. All of my 18 week olds are on the floor.
I used to leave the light on until 9 pm but I read " living with chickens" and I learned that by shutting the light off suddenly that they cannot find there roost.
I lost a pullet Saturday night due to a raccoon or opossum so that's is the reasoning behind my building of roost poles.
I used round wooden fence post approx. 2 1/2" in diameter. I can square off top if necessary.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
That's great, knock the top off those poles!! And a raccoon can climb for a chicken. If keeping a light on keeps them safe, them leave the light on until you catch the bugger!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fuzziebutt, would you mind explaining more about your 2x4s that you use? I'm assuming it's the "2" that is flat and the "4" that is vertical? Or the other way around?

My hens currently only will roost in a cedar tree, but I have hopes of eventually encouraging them to live (at least at night) in a coop. Thanks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I also use 2x4's. I have the 4" side on the top. I think it's really important in places where it gets really cold. They need room to cover their feet with their feathers to keep them warm and free of frostbite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts