Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Silkie rooster Strut died last night. Something got him. I don't know what. Whatever it was didn't eat him. There's no way anything could have gotten in or out. The door to the pen was closed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thank you. I am, too.

I mean, something got him. Could have been a person.
Do you have any person or nabor how complicated about him. Because not to worry you. I had a flock that i no for sure went in the coop at night. And like yours nothing could go in or out. But all my birds died that night. No trace besides fethers. And a couple days later a wing was found. And nothing else. But there was a nabor who complained about my flock. But to honor then i pick up there fethers and walk down to the strem and through them in. Rest in peace fire 2 cullyflouer chese dip browine and strut.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, my. That's terrible. Some people are so mean. I am so sorry. No, no complainants. He hardly ever crowed. He was a great rooster. Thank you.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
It's very odd that just him is missing. I would look around to make sure he didn't get out and is hiding somewhere.

Will he answer to his name? The reason I ask, I had a blind Silkie roo get out once. Never figured out how. I only found him by calling his name and having him answering me. He was several hundred feet away in the shrubs in front of the house.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Could it have been a rat? Those damned rats are great at breaking in and out of coops, and small chicken breeds, including silkies, are always at risk. Maybe your boy tried to fight it and it killed him and left. I’m so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose a roo. RIP Strut.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's very odd that just him is missing. I would look around to make sure he didn't get out and is hiding somewhere.

Will he answer to his name? The reason I ask, I had a blind Silkie roo get out once. Never figured out how. I only found him by calling his name and having him answering me. He was several hundred feet away in the shrubs in front of the house.
Wow. I bet that was scary.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Could it have been a rat? Those damned rats are great at breaking in and out of coops, and small chicken breeds, including silkies, are always at risk. Maybe your boy tried to fight it and it killed him and left. I’m so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose a roo. RIP Strut.
And to you. It roo killing night. They almost killed my hen. Omg. That hen is so special to me. She is storms(my dead hen) child. This is going to be do hard for me. I will let you know how hard i took the hit when it happens. I just hope it's quick. I love all my bird and this is going to be rough on me.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,247 Posts
Don't know what would've happened, Snake possibly?
I am so sorry to hear he was killed though!:(

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

We found his body. It was more like he was mutilated. My brother buried him. He said he could his flesh.
Nope. His body was found outside of the pen. A rat couldn't have gotten him out. That's what I don't understand. Some small something could have gotten in like a rat or snake but Strut couldn't have gotten out. I wonder if someone killed him.
Don't know what would've happened, Snake possibly?
I am so sorry to hear he was killed though!:(
No, couldn't have been. Thank you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
We found his body. It was more like he was mutilated. My brother buried him. He said he could his flesh.

Nope. His body was found outside of the pen. A rat couldn't have gotten him out. That's what I don't understand. Some small something could have gotten in like a rat or snake but Strut couldn't have gotten out. I wonder if someone killed him.

Um i have an idea. I just have a question. Is there holes arond your pen/run. And what does the top of said pen/ran look like. Because if i know anything about mutilated chickens and my 4 chicken massacres. Something went wrong. 1 somehow a fox got in the pen and only left 3 chickens alive. But smerd chickens every where and of course I gad to be 6 when this happened so i am traumatized. But tell me please what your pen/run looks like or what your door and top looks like. If you don't have a top thats cool. And do you have cats around your house? Also i may suggest to have a exploratory walk around your coop and pen/run.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No holes. Yes, there's a top. Yes, I have a cat. She only five pounds. She wouldn't\couldn't have gotten him.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Awww, I am sorry for your loss. 😢

Are you 100% sure he was in the coop when you shut the door? I missed doing a head count one night this summer and lost my favorite hen to a raccoon. And one other time I did the head count, but one somehow slipped back out into the run. Luckily he was still fine in the morning.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Are you 100% sure he was in the coop when you shut the door? I missed doing a head count one night this summer and lost my favorite hen to a raccoon. And one other time I did the head count, but one somehow slipped back out into the run. Luckily he was still fine in the morning.
Yeah same here. After the first massacre we would do head counts. And some how i kept missing one for 3 weeks in November. I think you no where i am going with this. Well behind the recycling bin in the bamboo was a hen. And we ended up with a doezn baby chicks in the middle of November. So we took them and raised them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah same here. After the first massacre we would do head counts. And some how i kept missing one for 3 weeks in November. I think you no where i am going with this. Well behind the recycling bin in the bamboo was a hen. And we ended up with a doezn baby chicks in the middle of November. So we took them and raised them.
Also in all massacres i lost all my favorites. For no reason. Like with windston the stupid cat(not trying to offend people) took windston in stead of am of the other Nuggets. Well all i learn is never get to atched. Because everyone and everything will leave you behind. But i know i have 7 friends who will always be here for me.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thank you. Yes, 1,000% sure. There's only three so he wouldn't be hard to miss.

I'm sorry about that. Never good.
Also in all massacres i lost all my favorites. For no reason. Like with windston the stupid cat(not trying to offend people) took windston in stead of am of the other Nuggets. Well all i learn is never get to atched. Because everyone and everything will leave you behind. But i know i have 7 friends who will always be here for me.
That's no way to live. The pain of losing one that you love is not half as bad as the pain of knowing you didn't take the time to love someone, and care for someone. Love is the strongest force out there. So love. Love conquers all. Even the fear of loss.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thank you. Yes, 1,000% sure. There's only three so he wouldn't be hard to miss.

I'm sorry about that. Never good.

That's no way to live. The pain of losing one that you love is not half as bad as the pain of knowing you didn't take the time to love someone, and care for someone. Love is the strongest force out there. So love. Love conquers all. Even the fear of loss.
I know. Believe me I love all my birds

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,247 Posts

Hmm, Wonder what it was, Mystery I suppose!😶

1 - 20 of 41 Posts