Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My silkie hen, Dawn was killed last night. Whatever it was this time, beheaded her. The only place something could have gotten in was though the bottom of the door but I now have a brick in front of it. I will have to move the last remaining hen to a pen until we can find out where something got it. This whole thing just ticks me off. Rest in peace, Dawn.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I would guess a raccoon is killing your hens. They attack at night and often behead their victims.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
I'm so sorry. Predators can be hard to deal with when it comes to protecting the flock. I hope you find the weakness in your setup so you can try again.

What about your birds?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for your loss. I would guess a raccoon is killing your hens. They attack at night and often behead their victims.
Thank you. I was reading that. I don't think something as big as a raccoon could get in. I'm thinking maybe a weasel. They might be small enough to get in through the wire (I put some smaller wire up this morning). I have also read that they'll sometimes behead their prey. Thank you for replying.
I'm so sorry. Predators can be hard to deal with when it comes to protecting the flock. I hope you find the weakness in your setup so you can try again.

What about your birds?
Thank you. No kidding. As do I. Thank you.

What do you mean?

·
Registered
Floof queen
581 Posts
My silkie hen, Dawn was killed last night. Whatever it was this time, beheaded her. The only place something could have gotten in was though the bottom of the door but I now have a brick in front of it. I will have to move the last remaining hen to a pen until we can find out where something got it. This whole thing just ticks me off. Rest in peace, Dawn.
what is happening to your chickens? I'm SO sorry that you're losing so many! Go-LLY!

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry to hear especially since your last rooster was killed by something also.
It's always hard losing something, especially something you really liked!
My one chicken's head was ripped off by a hawk. Honestly I have no clue on what got her.... Are there any open spots in your chicken coop where predators can get in?
RIP Dawn!:cry:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! It is. No, no open spots. That's what I don't understand. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
You’d be surprised how small of holes raccoons can fit in. I believe it’s 4 inch holes that they can get through.
4 inches, idk, seems like they could get through 4 inches, maybe I'm just being stupid, idk...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
327 Posts
Possibly weasel.

Wow. That's crazy.

I don't know, either.
Sorry for your lost. But the animal that was killing your dad's birds could be going for your birds because silkies are smaller and are easier for them to get.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts