Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with a duck with rickets? I have NO clue what is wrong with my little girl and trying process of elimination but after doing a lot of reading... She seems to have all the symptoms of rickets... Just looking for some advice! Thank you! :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Someone who knows more will reply soon, but I did read a little and it seems like you can help them if that is the problem. Sunshine for vitamin D, calcium - oyster shells, egg shells, yogurt, and probably adding a vitamin mix to the water.

No harm in any of that stuff if the diagnosis is off anyhow. Good luck with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!! I think I have read everything the Internet has to offer about rickets! Haha but I'm going to the grocery store today and starting "the rickets diet" I just hope it works! I have tried pretty much EVERYTHING else and was beginning to lose hope until I stumbled upon an article about rickets. She has stolen my heart... I can't give up on her.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
kkcallawayxx - that can be a difficult feat. Good luck. I hope you find all the answers you need soon to help your little one.

I'm charging up the video camera so I can umm ya, record their first supervised little swim later today. :eek: Hey, I'm a new duck mama, I can't help it. I don't want to miss any firsts! :p Since we are still buried in snow, they'll have to settle for the bigger plastic bin I found.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhhh yay! That's so awesome! I videoed mines first swim too!! I could watch them swim for hours! When they were really little I put them in the kitchen sink... Now George is outside with a kiddie pool so he can come and go as he pleases... As for Georgia she loves the bathtub!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Rickets is not a common diagnosis for birds. Leg problems can happen for a number of assorted reasons. Slipped tendons, congenital malformation. Pics if possible otherwise vet to wildlife rehab might help. If nothing else, wildlife rehab might know a vet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try to post some pics tomorrow. I have been so busy trying to take care of her I haven't taken any lately... Thank you everyone for the advice!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts