Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
All red sex l link. True RIR's are dark red and have a very flat back from the bottom of their neck to the base of their tail.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Either way, they're really cute and you'll enjoy them a lot! :D To show you what Apyl is explaining, here is a pic of one of mine when she was the age yours are now.

Attachments

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Are red sex links the same as cinnamon queens?
Yes, and Golden Comets, and a whole host of other names!! Apyl had a list of the names around here somewhere...

Sometime later...
Ok, it either wasn't Apyl, or I couldn't find that one, but I also found them called Red Star, Golden Comet, Gold Sex-Link, Isa Brown. All the same chicken breed. I'll keep digging, and be back

Later...
Turns out that it's not a breed, it's just a color. Back soon!

Still later...
Learning that a Rhode Island Red Rooster and a Rhode Island White Hen create an actual Gold Sexlink. But these are all basically the same color, and the different names came from different breeders that bred birds with similar colors.

Clear as mud now? Good! :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
They look like sia browns I have a few they r great layers and make AWSOME pets and r really hardy to your babies r cute. My girls come running when I call its pretty cool but the roo is never impressed lol.

·
Registered
289 Posts
kaufranc said:
Are red sex links the same as cinnamon queens?
Absolutely NOT!!

Red sex link: Rhode Island white with a Rhode Island Red (usually the ones with white/buff feathering) or Delaware with production red (usually ones with different shades of red but almost always red).

Cinnamon queen: silver laced Wyandotte hen with a New Hampshire (or Rhode Island Red) roo.

Golden comet: white rock (carrying silver gene) hen with a New Hampshire (or rhode island res) roo.

Black sex link: barred rock hen with a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red roo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts