Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have 6 10 week old pullets, and one of them seems to "sneeze" all the time.
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
How are your pullets doing? Sorry I don't have an answer, hopefully someone who has experienced a sneezing chicken will chime in with a solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am hoping someone can answer this too. I have a RIR hen about 3 yrs old. She looks perfectly healthy, eats & drinks, feathers are beautiful. The problem is she's been sneezing for about 2 months. She doesn't have any drainage coming from her nose or mouth. She is breathing fine. I don't know why she is constantly sneezing? Any ideas...?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Seems like a lot of people are reporting sneezing in their flocks this year but no other symptoms...just sneezing. Maybe with all the additional rainfall everyone is having we are seeing more mold spores in the atmosphere?

I had some leather shoes in my closet turn completely green with mold and that has never happened to me before and I've been sneezing quite a bit this spring as well. All of our trees have huge amounts of fungal growth on them and many are dying from it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My girl sneezes too!! I think Bee is quite right, I think it's added spores. For England, we've had a pretty hot summer and dreadful hayfever alerts and she only sneezes when she's ranging (or eating too quickly!!) but she's perfectly fine and I suggest that as long as she's healthy, laying, eating, etc you need not worry! good luck, god bless! X

·
Registered
647 Posts
a few of mine sneeze when i pour their food out .. they get so excited when they see me coming with the food that they all jump around and i guess they just snorted some feed .. it goes away after a bit .. i am in west virginia and it is very damp and foggy at night and hot and sunny during the day so everything green grows very rapidly so it may be pollen too or dust

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
a few of mine sneeze when i pour their food out .. they get so excited when they see me coming with the food that they all jump around and i guess they just snorted some feed .. it goes away after a bit .. i am in west virginia and it is very damp and foggy at night and hot and sunny during the day so everything green grows very rapidly so it may be pollen too or dust
Howdy, neighbor! I'm in WV too. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Rhode Island Red that does the same thing . She does cough somewhat through out the day! I am in Ashland KY, so I know what you mean about the weather!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
that is so cool to have you as a neighbor :) .. i live in southern harrison county ..
I live in Ritchie! No sneezing or coughing birds here, though. I have a very open air coop, so this could be the difference as they free range all day and have constant airflow through the coop at night..could make a difference in the air quality as far as concentrated mold spores.

·
Registered
647 Posts
your not too far away :) . . i have mine in chicken tractors so i get sort of free range but hawk proof which we have tons of hawks .. they fly over every morning .. i think they are just breathing in the pellet dust .. they get excited thinking its a treat but its just pellets :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts