Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our first baby chicks today! A barred rock and a red sex link. What can anyone tell me about the red sex link? It is a mixed breed- so not a breed, actually a hybrid- right? Can anyone tell me anything about them? Red stars? Is that also what they're called?

·
Banned
825 Posts
Yep. Red Stars.
A very fine egg-laying chicken....AND good because when they are born...you can tell right-away whether they are Roosters or Hens.
( But this doesn't hold for their prodigy.)
You'll be pleased with the egg-production from your Red Sex-Link chickens.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_link

HAVE FUN !

·
Registered
691 Posts
We just got our first baby chicks today! A barred rock and a red sex link. What can anyone tell me about the red sex link? It is a mixed breed- so not a breed, actually a hybrid- right? Can anyone tell me anything about them? Red stars? Is that also what they're called?
Welcome to the chicken forum!

Red "sex-links" or Red Stars are a hybrid, they are not a breed and are usually created using a Rhode Island Red over a Delaware (or other white egg layer). This cross produces offspring than can be easily sexed at hatching....why they are called "sex-links"! Some hatcheries have different names for their "sex-links" or use a different RED breed like a New Hampshire to create a Golden Comet (more buff colored than red but some consider them red sex-links none the less). Red & Black "sex-links" are outstanding layers and easy keepers.:)

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Red Sex links, aka as cinnamon queens and golden stars. They were my very 1st birds. I got them because their personality was rated as very friendly. I don't care about egg production, but that is their primary selling pint. They are nice little lap birds if you give them attention from the baby age. I lost 3 of the 4 to a dog attack and the one who remained succumbed to ovarian cancer at 3 years of age. They are a nice breed, not too mean and not overly docile. But keep in mind they were bread to be producers, so don't expect them to live long time. Enjoy your time with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Amber sex-links (which are close enough to red sex-links) and they are the friendliest chickens! They will come right up to me! Of course, i socialized with them when they were chicks but still. I hope you have fun with those cuties:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best brown egg layers. They put all they got into it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts