Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our quails, Little - E has died.

I suppose it was my fault, even though I didn't know they could do that.

So;
A mink/cat like animal crawled under the quail cage, ate their eggs, and killed one (little E)

So yeah..

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Awwww!!!I hate to hear that.I know many critters can slip through tight spaces,a mink can slip through 4 inches/10cm easily.It will be back.You(or someone else)could sit out at night and wait for it to come and shoot it if you can.I saw you were back in Iran and I don't know the laws there but I would assume you can protect your livestock.You could also set a snare or trap or poisoned carcass(as a last option),just make sure the intended target gets it and not the dogs,chickens or other animals.Also do a little of work on the quails flooring.It will be back and may bring babies with it,then you really got trouble.Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awwww!!!I hate to hear that.I know many critters can slip through tight spaces,a mink can slip through 4 inches/10cm easily.It will be back.You(or someone else)could sit out at night and wait for it to come and shoot it if you can.I saw you were back in Iran and I don't know the laws there but I would assume you can protect your livestock.You could also set a snare or trap or poisoned carcass(as a last option),just make sure the intended target gets it and not the dogs,chickens or other animals.Also do a little of work on the quails flooring.It will be back and may bring babies with it,then you really got trouble.Good luck!!!!
Do mink eat quail eggs? I have a cage like thing that's outside so the quails can be outside but in a cage at the same time. Once I left a quail egg in there to see if something will eat it, and the next morning half was left and it was empty. A mink could have eaten it? Thank you for the advice, I think I'm going to poison a quail egg and the mink will die..?

Also I think guns aren't illegal but i haven't used one and it's pretty scary... so as I said, above option is going to be used.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Good luck getting it!!!Mink skins are worth some money.Do you live near a water source?I know mink live near water.I'm gonna have to research predators in Iran,out of curiosity.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck getting it!!!Mink skins are worth some money.Do you live near a water source?I know mink live near water.I'm gonna have to research predators in Iran,out of curiosity.
There is a big dam that isn't far near the mountains, does that count?:
5C963613-4B66-44EC-9B75-5277FD1FA83A.jpeg

lol good luck then!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Show-set it up and waiting for whatever got your quail and eggs.I reckon it's hillbilly slang I picked up years ago.It drives me crazy when I have unwanted guests and I can't rest until it's gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts