Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter starts kindergarten this year. We got all her supplies and she's ready to go!

Anyone else getting their kids ready?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
The kids start after Labor Day here, registration is tonight and I haven't bought one thing yet lol. My kids are in 6th, 1st, and KG.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
My "baby" graduated last year. My other "baby" is a Senior.

She started Band Camp yesterday, school starts in 2 weeks.

Now I have to decide what I want to be when I grow up. My Mother days are numbered.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I get nauseous thinking about full time school for my son. So far he has only don a couple days a week but due to circumstances he may go to full time pre-k starting the 25th. I wish the public school we live by had part time but they don't. Not sure yet but I'm definitely not ready for this step. Ha. I feel like he's still so young. Blah. I'm sure one of these days I will be excited for him to go back to school but I'm not there yet. So he either starts the 25th or not till sept if we do the half day school.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm already 2 weeks into 6th. It's odd to suddenly have 5 teachers when you normally only have one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Getting ready we have meet your teacher Monday for my 7th grade. My oldest will start her senior year in college and my middle will be a freshman in college. My pocket book hurts soooooo bad.........

·
Registered
772 Posts
Austin said:
They do year around in AZ?
No, not at my school anyway.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Austin said:
What's the start date then? You said you are already back in session?
It was August 1 this year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My daughter starts back 9th Sept here in rainy England, she's now a senior in year 9, and no it doesn't get any easier to watch them go....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ugh my oldest starts the 28th :( kindergarten. I am not looking forward to this. We have all her school supplies. Going on a mini vacation and going to do her clothes shopping at the kittery outlets for her clothes.

I wish I could put this off for another year!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Austin said:
What do you mean by soft start?

It seems many here home school.
I don't want to wear my kids out but making them sit at the table for hours on end right off the bat. Our "soft start" might be to dab a little in this or that (looking up sharks on the computer or learning to type, or do a dot to dot, spelling, reading, etc).

Starting Monday we might do a little more structure with certain topics like geography, vocabulary, harder math equations, maybe a science experiment, etc.

I let them lead me to what they want to learn about and I supplement with my topics as needed. I am kinda laid back at this age :) but we'll see what needs adapting as they get older.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Austin said:
How far do plan on taking them with home schooling?
Good question! Um, as long as my husband lets me ;)

Hopefully for the next two years at least. When they reach maybe 9 or 10 I might let them decide what they would like to do. If they decide to continue with homeschooling when we reach HS years then I will probably supplement with some public school classes (chemistry, calc, AP classes if available, etc). We'll see what the kiddos decide.

I will leave it very much to them but these young formative years I like having them in our home. We will meet up with other home school families and groups and neighbors too (we're lucky to live in a large city with lots of opportunities around us) to keep them socializing and learning outside the home.

Sorry my answers are so long! I could keep going on and on because there are so many reasons I do this and so many avenues to explore when it comes to teaching at home. So, I guess my "official" answer is...we'll see.

Think it over and you might feel that home is a great classroom!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did, I don't have the time and I feel my wife, although a smart women, would not do as well teaching our Daughter who seems to learn better from teachers than from us. We learned this last year when she was in a Mother's Day Out program.

What made you decide on homeschooling?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Austin said:
I did, I don't have the time and I feel my wife, although a smart women, would not do as well teaching our Daughter who seems to learn better from teachers than from us. We learned this last year when she was in a Mother's Day Out program.

What made you decide on homeschooling?
Oh my, where to begin, haha! After putting my daughter in Kindergarten last year I honestly felt like I did her a disservice. She is very smart and school was boring, just full of busy work, and everything has to be done at one level (usually a low level) to try and keep everyone focused (if she taught at an advanced level then she would lose kids so teachers do what they have to do). Also, I hate the very idea of testing 5 year olds! It makes kids hard on themselves, making them "perform" for strangers and being stressed out when learning should still be fun at this age. I hate the kindergarten "assessments" they do. It didn't help that my daughter was a home preschooler and I have never met a woman so against homeschooling so she didn't like me from the start. :)

Her class had 30 kids in it with one teacher and no aides, only the rare parent volunteer. She didn't like having helpers because she said her time would be spent delegating when she could just be doing it herself. At back to school night she was in no way excited I teach or be with kids, I honestly felt that she was working just to make ends meet with her husband teacher. (Poor teachers really don't get paid enough).

To top it off I really didn't like all the bad habits she brought home. Being sassy and talking about "making out" with boys, etc. Call me a prude but there are much more important things for a 5 year old to be joking (or not joking) about. Worrying about hair styles and clothes and heaven forbid...weight. Yup, I'll shelter her, because that's what I think is best for a young kid! She would also come home putting herself down and calling herself stupid because she didn't understand and math problem and the teacher didn't have time to help her with it. I could go on and on on these kind of things!

Then there is the PTA, a great idea in theory. I helped with the schools big fundraiser this last spring. The school raised $21,000! Where did the PTA put it? Into things like "dads and doughnuts" and "maturation" programs, and "Saturday bagels and books" (which is really a Sat spent with parents reading to their kids. Nothing educational at all! Dads should be taking their kids to get doughnuts if they feel like it and parents should teach their kids about puberty as they see fit and we should all be reading to our kids. That fundraising money should have gone into educational things, computers for classrooms, supplies, field trips, teachers aids if desired, new library books, etc. I just plain didn't like where the money was going. I don't think it's the school systems place to be parenting our kids. Some kids may need that, yes (that doesn't mean their dad will in fact bring them) but don't use precious resources that could benefit EVERYONE better in other areas!

CA just passed a law where restrooms/locker rooms at school are no longer gender specific. I really don't want a law like that where I live. I would like to skip out on perverts seeing my kids do they business, or worse, shower! They could be ridiculed, bullied, and very much feel violated. Again, sheltering my kids? Yup, I guess so. At least for now while they are still young and figuring out right from wrong.

Student enrollment has increased slightly and yet administrative positions in the school system have increased in some places up to 900%!! My tax dollars are clearly not going where they should. More people to analyze test results and breath down teachers necks is not what we need. I am against "common core" as well. I like to keep school/public education as local as possible and as state as possible and common core is pushing for more federalized education. Less focus on the individual student and more on "scores" again, not what we need.

I could probably keep going but thats the biggest reasons why. At the end of the day I like being with my kids (as much as they drive me totally insane ;) ). I like knowing what is going in their brains and what they need help on. When we need to pray we pray, If we feel like taking a break we take one, if we want to snack we eat, if we want to sleep in we sleep in. Anyways, the few pros of public school were not enough to weigh out the cons of homeschooling (cause I'll admit there will be the occasional con to homeschooling).

Wish us luck, I could use it but so far so good!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mamahen you and I are on the same page. My little girl is only 3 so we've got a little while yet. I would like to tell you from experience it was one of the best things my mom did for us. I was home schooled all but two grades. The funny thing is the state took us to court over it. They said she couldn't possibly teach us as much as they could even though on our standardized test we were always two grades ahead of where we were supposed to be. The ruled against us and my parents put us in private school for those two years. Here's the kicker my mom was my teacher for one of those years. So she was good enuff to teach me and other peoples kids in a "school" but not in our house? If you can explain that one please let me know. Children are the most precious things in the world. Good for you for doing what you think is right for them even though some may look at you a little funny for it or worse.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts