Chicken Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking up deadfall. I got off the tractor and just as I went to reach for something I spotted it. Coiled up at the base of a tree.

But that's not the story. The story is me and that danged shotgun. Took safety off, pulled the trigger and nothing. Huh? Rack the slide. Oh, I didn't clear it from last time. OK, clear it. Take aim, aim and nothing again.

I'm like what the heck. Check, it's not loaded. For Pete's sake get with the program here. Get a couple of shells and had to explore the gun to load it. OK, got it. Boom! Missed it entirely.

Calm down and aim idiot. Blew its head off that time. I really need to work with this gun. Probably need to work with my rifle too since I haven't done anything with it in years either.

After all that? I think the snake was already dead. There was absolutely no physical response from it when I fired.

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe not so dead after all. I read something about rattlers and being coiled up against the base of trees in the early morning but don't remember just what I read.

Anyway, I just came in from out there. Don't know if a snake that's already dead can do this or not but the tail and body are moving. I couldn't find the head at first. It's laying on it now.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Maybe not so dead after all. I read something about rattlers and being coiled up against the base of trees in the early morning but don't remember just what I read.

Anyway, I just came in from out there. Don't know if a snake that's already dead can do this or not but the tail and body are moving. I couldn't find the head at first. It's laying on it now.
Yes, they can. It takes longer than mammals for the nervous system to stop and all the body cells to die.

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A .410 is actually what I wanted. But this .20 came along at the right time. It's a youth size so it's not as heavy as the adult size.

What I really need to do is quit putting them in the closet and forgetting they're there. I know how to use them but I'm losing what I knew after not using them.

But, dawg, you did give me an idea. I need a rack on the tractor for a gun like they do in pickups.

·
Super Moderator
4,339 Posts
I'll bet the guy I got the basket from has something that would work. I'll go check, if he does I'll post the link.
I have a sprayer on an atv with two gun racks that are secure and padded, they also work good for rakes etcetera.

·
Super Moderator
4,339 Posts
Would it work on the ROPs of a tractor?
Yes, they sell mounting brackets for every type of machine. I wouldn't buy it from a dealer or anything, too expensive. I think I got mine from an Ebay store and they were under ten dollars. They have held up well. My old atv is a pretty ******* setup, it has a sprayer on the back rack, a large wood box and two milk crates mounted to the front rack. It allows me to carry fence repair tools and tree pruning items.

Reactions: dawg53 and robin416

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just killed my third rattlesnake in my front yard.

Maisey was standing on the porch, non stop barking. She doesn't usually stand right there and bark. I went out and she headed for the Magnolia tree. That's when I saw it.

Getting my pigheaded, going to protect her ground butt away was stressful. I got my .380 shot it once, that convinced Maisey to go in the house. Then got the 20 G and nearly shot it in half.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,168 Posts
Just killed my third rattlesnake in my front yard.

Maisey was standing on the porch, non stop barking. She doesn't usually stand right there and bark. I went out and she headed for the Magnolia tree. That's when I saw it.

Getting my pigheaded, going to protect her ground butt away was stressful. I got my .380 shot it once, that convinced Maisey to go in the house. Then got the 20 G and nearly shot it in half.
Rest in peace rattlesnake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts