raising Koi fish

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by realsis, Jan 21, 2013.

1. realsis

realsis New Member

One of my other hobbies is raising Koi fish. We have a 3,000 gallon pond. I have around 17 Koi. I've raised most from babies. It's a challenging and rewarding hobby. I even learned to give a fish a shot. Not an easy task but necessary at times of illnesses. It is a very fun hobby. The pond is also in the back yard. We are lucky to have a 10,000 square foot lot to fit all these things in my yard! We used to be country but recently we're annexed into the city. :( which I don't like at all! Now I have to follow city rules. But we are still working on the back yard. When it's done it should be great!

2. robopetz

robopetz New Member

How fun! I used to have koi's too, my fave is the butterfly koi. Pics?

3. realsis

realsis New Member

Here is my pond i can only get some of it in the Pic but you can see some of my Koi. I love butterflies too. I have there
    Hope you like the pic

Attached Files:

4. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Nice! They are so calming and peaceful to watch huh.

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I have always wanted Koi. Good for you! Beautiful!

6. troyer

troyer Junior Member

Koi are very interesting fish.

7. Barnbum374

Barnbum374 New Member

I used to have a Koi pond when I lived in AZ, and absolutely loved it. I've thought about creating a water trough/Koi pond...but so far DH isn't on board. I'll revisit the idea with him after we build the chicken coop. ; )

8. DixieBee

DixieBee New Member

Very nice. I have had koi ponds at my last couple of houses. Very relaxing to sit by the pond and watch the fish while enjoying a cup of coffee.
    My favorite koi I ever had was a ghost koi. Almost a blueish silver color.

I also had some fancy goldfish in one of my ponds, its amazing how big an oranda and black moore can get in one summer outside compared to 3 or 4 years inside in an aquarium.