Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally gotten the coop and run predator proof. Now I am planning to get some rabbits for meat. Any advice for keeping the rabbits and chickens in the same run mid day, or should I just keep the rabbit area separate.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My school's habitat keeps their rabbit in the chicken coop, but they have a small enclosed area make out of bricks for it, the food and water being in there. There has to be an opening so the rabbit(s) can get in and out though.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My coop I a 4x8 shed style with a 12x8 run. The coop sits on the south side of the run, and I would like to put the rabbits on the north side of the run, so the run would be sandwiched.

image-3922879394.jpg

Where the table is in this picture is where I plan to have the rabbit hutch. I am thinking I will make pop doors on the run to the rabbits, then I can open or close at my desire.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Rabbits are VERY temperamental towards weather. They can freeze and get heat stroke very easily. I had a rabbit die from heat stroke and it was horrible. I know you will be using them for meat but I don't think you wan them to suffer or die before they are ready. So just make sure it's never too hot or cold for them and goo luck :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It never gets above 85 here, and where the coop sits, it's always either providing shade or is in the shade. So I do not think over heating will be an issue, it does get cold near me, and that is something l have not worked out. Either small heat lamp in the nest boxes or perhaps moving the breeders inside for the coldest months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts