Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that hens "announce" their egg with loud clucks. Well, a few of our hens have started laying in the past week. Of course, the eggs we're getting are small, but the girls aren't making any fuss when laying. Is this "normal," because the eggs are small and maybe not very uncomfortable to lay? Do hens cluck loudly when they lay an egg because it's painful?

I have no idea about that, but I know that I've had at least two lay an egg near me & they didn't make a sound, so I was wondering. :p

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Not all hens annouce their eggs or sing while laying. I have a couple hens who sign and some who dont. I think it all depends on the breed.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have two Serama hens who make a real fuss when they are about to lay an egg. For almost an hour before hand they're practically screaming, "HEY! I'M ABOUT TO LAY AN EGG HERE!" which gets the other hens going... SIGH. That being said my other two Serama hens are quiet as mice... and so are my large fowls. I think its a personality thing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My hens were very noisy for the first few weeks they started laying. Really noisy - made me worry we would have to get rid of them. Now they are generally very quiet. An isolated cackle or song.

·
28 Posts
mine sing then it seems all the other chickens join in until one loud scream when the egg is laid then it's back to silence, i have heard barred rocks are really vocal when laying

1 - 9 of 9 Posts