Question For Carpenters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by nxb161, Jan 25, 2013.

1. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

I'm looking to make a waterer out of a 5G Bucket. I want it to be mobile, so I am thinking about hanging it off a wooden type of stand. I'm sure someone on here has made one of these. I don't really have the carpentry/design skills. I'm just looking for a basic stand that the bucket will hang from, just want to make sure it is totally stable that wind won't rock it the bucket and knock down the stand when it is light, but not totally overkill. Any design dimension ideas?

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Look under chicken nipples. Also under advertising as someone advertises this type of system.

3. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

If you know what sawhorses are or a swing set style stand

4. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

Energyvet, I have plans for making the waterer bucket, just trying to figure out the mobile stand part of it.
    grgfishkeeping, I hadn't thought of that type of stand, thanks I'll have to figure the dimensions that would be stable for that much weight.

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I wouldn't hang on a pole unless that pole was structural to the building. Or I would use a wall. Hanging heavy water bags or buckets up high just makes stuff very top heavy. Just saying...

6. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

Understood, I have a design I want to try and if it looks like it won't be stable that's a no brainer. What I plan to make shouldn't be top heavy. The coop I'm getting doesn't have anything that i'd trust that much weight coming off of where I'd want to put it. Even having it come off the run I think would be questionable, that's why I'm trying this route. I got the wood and parts this morning, If I get it together I'll post a picture.

7. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

Well I went out to the hardware store this morning and got all my supplies. Here is what I have so far. It is very stable, only thing I need to figure out is how to stablize the chain and handle so it can't slide. I have to go over it with some sandpaper as well.

Attached Files:

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Do you currently have water in the bucket? I'm betting your bucket handle will fail. I've seen those detach and become a real issue. Like the wood frame but wouldn't want to underneath if that bucket were to fall.

9. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

Good point ev. I would try to make a bucket harness out of some strong straps.

10. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

No I don't have it filled right now, just checking it out for height. I hadn't really thought of that since I've seen a lot on youtube there they are hanging. It probably isn't a bad idea to add some support from the top to the bucket. Good call, I guess I'll look at it and see what I can come up with.

11. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

Another thing to watch is if you put that in the coop or run good chance it will be a new roosting post there for a nasty bucket...

And as long as you use a swing set type stand with legs out far enough it wont tip.
    Think of when you was a kid they didnt tip with a swinging object on them. And this buckets stationary