Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a novice and have a variety of pullets of different breeds. Today I found our first brown egg. However, the brown is not solid. There is white speckling evenly distributed over the egg. I've never seen this before. Are there certain breeds that lay brown speckles eggs or is it because its the first? The two photos are the same egg under different light.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I get those sometimes from my production reds. They're fine. It has to do with how the color is applied to the egg internally, prior to being laid.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Looks like all the light brown eggs I've seen. My Barred Rock and Cochins lay an egg like this.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm getting about 5 brown eggs a day. In fact, I just collected 2 from one nest bucket while one of my australorps was in the middle of laying in the other. It should be finished about now. About half or more of my eggs speckle out just like that. (only I perceive it as a light gray, not white). My brown eggs layers are 4 amber-whites and 2 australorps.

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
I'm a novice and have a variety of pullets of different breeds. Today I found our first brown egg. However, the brown is not solid. There is white speckling evenly distributed over the egg. I've never seen this before. Are there certain breeds that lay brown speckles eggs or is it because its the first? The two photos are the same egg under different light.
Hi doodlehike, welcome to the forum.
The white is not speckled over the brown egg. The egg shell is white. All brown eggs are white egg shells with a brown coating that is put on them right before they are laid. Some breeds put on more or darker brown than others. I think there are only two (someone correct me if I'm wrong) egg shell colors, blue and white. Green eggs are blue egg shells with a little bit of brown on them.
Yes some do lay speckled eggs.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts