Chicken Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I was watching yesterday. This one hen kept walking over the hen on the nest. The hen on the nest finally had enough and got up. The other bird quickly settled on her eggs. Because of all the "I'm not in a good mood" noises I'm hearing, I've got more than one broody.

The hen that tried to steal the one nest settled on another that I thought they had abandoned.

·
Serama King
1,951 Posts
You should get that on video. I know numerous people that would not believe as, "Everyone knows quail do not brood in captivity." And if they do it's just a fluke.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I know, that's what I was told when I got them. It's why I was so surprised that the one was glued to a nest.

I have seen mister roo getting down to business again lately so maybe this time something will happen.

·
Serama King
1,951 Posts
I know, that's what I was told when I got them. It's why I was so surprised that the one was glued to a nest.

I have seen mister roo getting down to business again lately so maybe this time something will happen.
Good. You've learned what I learned, Quail DO brood in captivity; it's just a matter of setting up their pen correctly.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
And that was purely by accident. I did what I thought they'd like. Except the goofy birds keep mushing the hay down flat. I thought it was the Hamburg that was doing it, it wasn't since she's gone. I've got some small pieces of welded wire I can use to make tunnels.

·
Serama King
1,951 Posts
And that was purely by accident. I did what I thought they'd like. Except the goofy birds keep mushing the hay down flat. I thought it was the Hamburg that was doing it, it wasn't since she's gone. I've got some small pieces of welded wire I can use to make tunnels.
Great idea; be sure to bend over all pointed ends.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts