Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
19,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I had noticed they were calmer with the hay being there.

Just reminded me I need to take another flake out. That one disappeared into the shavings.

·
Serama King
2,062 Posts
Quail seem to like feeling hidden (predator/prey response). Since I had just a pair in a large pen and didn't have to clean often, I arranged their cage using dried vines, branches, and even a few green fake plants. That was my secret of success. I also offered small wooden boxes that had half the front open; like a tiny chicken nest box.

·
Serama King
2,062 Posts
Overmountain-If you like quail, I recommend button quail over cortunix. Their behaviors are quite similar, but buttons are smaller and less smelly if you have them in the house. Cleaning would be less often too. However, if you're going to use the eggs, like for pickled eggs, and the birds to eat, then get the jumbo cortunix.

Normal and silver button quail will nest in a cage too and more readily than cortunix quail.

·
Administrator
19,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I heard the boy crow this morning. So, fingers crossed there will be baby quail in a couple of days.

Don't know why I'm wishing for that. It just complicates an already complicated life.

·
Serama King
2,062 Posts
I heard the boy crow this morning. So, fingers crossed there will be baby quail in a couple of days.

Don't know why I'm wishing for that. It just complicates an already complicated life.
Because it is fun and interesting; something not everyone can accomplish. How about that second nest?

·
Administrator
19,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I think they've already abandoned that project. I don't see any new additions and don't see anyone near it.

·
Serama King
2,062 Posts
It would be a different hen as the previous broody did not have time to have laid a new clutch. But yea! Hopefully these will hatch.

·
Serama King
2,062 Posts
What are the chances of having two broodies of a species not know for going broody?

I got a kick out this latest one, she covered herself with hay so you can barely see her.
I'd say pretty high. You obviously have your cage set up to their liking. It takes almost up to two weeks for them to lay a full clutch. How many eggs? Each egg represents one day. The other hen would not start brooding someone else's nest like a chicken might.

·
Administrator
19,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
They are actually in a big dog pen. Ten foot by Ten foot. With hay and shavings and places to hang out and feel safe.

There's even the top of a cage I have clipped so it stays leaning against the pen sides for them to hang out in.

Less than ten this time. I should have counted when she was off the nest this morning. Like the other broody she's got a really bad attitude when she's up.

·
Serama King
2,062 Posts
They are actually in a big dog pen. Ten foot by Ten foot. With hay and shavings and places to hang out and feel safe.

There's even the top of a cage I have clipped so it stays leaning against the pen sides for them to hang out in.

Less than ten this time. I should have counted when she was off the nest this morning. Like the other broody she's got a really bad attitude when she's up.
So, the question is, did the first broody have time between abandoning the first nest to lay 8 eggs and go broody again?

·
Administrator
19,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
No, another hen made this nest. Probably the one sitting on it. I had been watching this "new" one because it was so organized. Not just laid wherever she happened to be standing which happened a lot.

·
Serama King
2,062 Posts
That cool. Button quail often make such a nest; almost like it has a roof on it; but after the eggs are laid. It took me some time to realize what was going on when they appeared to be just dropping the eggs any old where. It was by accident that I had my first broody button; I hadn't collected the eggs in a week or so and when I went to do so the hen had constructed the nest and was brooding.

·
Administrator
19,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Believe me, mine were dropping them any old where. This nest building thing is pretty new. It's why it got my attention.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts