Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Then I'd leave well enough alone and, yes, she well may have hid them while laying. Hopefully, the others are not adding eggs. If you noticed, quail just lay their eggs in the same general area, then when all the eggs have been laid, the eggs are pulled together and the real nest is constructed around them. This is an interesting thing to watch.
Yes it is. That's the kind of behavior, you wonder what the evolutionary function is.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Then I'd leave well enough alone and, yes, she well may have hid them while laying. Hopefully, the others are not adding eggs. If you noticed, quail just lay their eggs in the same general area, then when all the eggs have been laid, the eggs are pulled together and the real nest is constructed around them. This is an interesting thing to watch.
I'd find eggs everywhere in the pen. It would look like someone was building a nest, lay one or two eggs then move to another area.

She was watching me this morning when I went in. Full on turning her head to watch me.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
I've had a number of button and cortunix quail brood, as you already know. The point is that every one that brooded for four days went all the way to the end and hatched chicks. Consider planning what you'll do when these itsy chicks hatch. You definitely want to get the marbles out to put in their drinking water so they don't drown; clean gravel works well.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If the eggs are fertile. I was watching the male this morning. Something isn't right with him. It looks neurological. Only time will tell if any will hatch.

Thanks for the marble reminder. Been a while since I've needed them.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
If the eggs are fertile. I was watching the male this morning. Something isn't right with him. It looks neurological. Only time will tell if any will hatch.

Thanks for the marble reminder. Been a while since I've needed them.
Like chickens you have to consider the past; if the male wasn't sick when the first eggs were laid then it is very possible the whole clutch is fertile.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yep. But she does pay attention. When I went in this morning I had their hand rearing formula treat. She took over the bowl. Then she returned to her nest.

And just because you said something about actual nests which until now I hadn't seen them do that. There's another one started with several eggs in it.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Yep. But she does pay attention. When I went in this morning I had their hand rearing formula treat. She took over the bowl. Then she returned to her nest.

And just because you said something about actual nests which until now I hadn't seen them do that. There's another one started with several eggs in it.
Monkey see, monkey do. Remove the eggs if you don't wish to have them hatch. I think it's really cool that you're getting them to nest normally; just not something that most quail owners see. Pictures?

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK, I'll get a pic later. The one nest isn't in a spot to get a decent pic of.

I hope she's paying attention again this morning and leaves the nest right after I take their breakfast in.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
47FDBBD3-729C-4453-BE8E-E733171BE8BA_1_105_c.jpeg

The other nest

Girl on her nest. She knows breakfast is served.

Her nest after she left for breakfast.

48239311-5248-49D8-BF19-27E2AA0669D3_1_105_c.jpeg
EBBEA9A5-3FD0-4309-A9E1-0F71F33ECE71_1_105_c.jpeg
97EA47D0-1A83-4A02-97A5-79841DFA7357_1_105_c.jpeg

Her taking over breakfast.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I just realized something. We have a cold front coming next week. Guess which day it's supposed to get here. Yep, hatch day.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
I always found it fascinating when they nested. Really nice pictures! I'd suggest that you move hen and chicks indoors as soon as you see they've hatched. Since the hen tolerates your presence she should accept the interference. I doubt the hen could keep the chicks going should the cold last any time at all.
It's easy to understand why they brood in natures so much; unless conditions are close to ideal the chicks die.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Can't move them in. It's not safe here in the house for me to bring them in. But I can easily setup and adjust for their needs when the temps drop.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
That hay is the secret of your success. If they don't feel secure and hidden, nesting is a LOT less likely. Very neat pictures.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts