Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is interesting, I might have a broody Quail. For the past two days every time I check there's a hen under the hay sitting on five or six eggs. Now if the eggs are fertile and she sticks with it, this could be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
This is interesting, I might have a broody Quail. For the past two days every time I check there's a hen under the hay sitting on five or six eggs. Now if the eggs are fertile and she sticks with it, this could be interesting.
Spring! I ordered 20 Tibetan Quail eggs for the incubator.

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
Robin-very important-make absolutely no changes in the cage environment or your schedule in feeding. Any change can cause a quail to desert her nest. 16-18 days to hatch. The hen will care for the chicks about ten days and then start a new nest. If this hen succeeds she will try again and be more stable about it. Hopefully, the other seven quail will not interfere with the nest. Good luck. It is fascinating to watch a quail family.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Dan. I was wondering.

She is glued. All spread out like you see a hen on eggs. I worry because she's right at the door where I come and go. She watches every move I make when I go in to feed but hasn't budged, yet.

What I have is piles of hay in their pen. Their pen is a 10X10 ft dog pen. They all go tunneling in it and hang out in the hay.

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
Sounds like she is not too nervous of a bird. My advice is to separate mom and chicks as soon as they hatch-17 days.
I used a big plastic tub for the hen to raise her chicks in. For me, it was a problem with snakes making the chicks
disappear. In your case, I'd worry about the reactions of the other quail. Fine chick mash, minced hard-boiled egg, and dry mealworms crunched up worked well as a diet for quail chicks.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a small square wire cage I can use if I need to. Guess it's good I didn't get rid of everything I had for the birds.

My group is already on gamebird feed which usually has enough fine ground crumbles for tiny babies to eat. That's assuming the eggs are fertile. I kind of hope they are if she's going to do something they aren't known to do.

I just came in from giving the quail their daily lettuce treat, she's changed her angle a bit since this morning and didn't appear to be paying me much mind.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's just it and why I wonder, I haven't heard him crow for a couple of weeks. Believe it or not, I heard in when I was in the house.

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
Is their cage well-lit? When not crowing it maybe sterile. Fifteen more days will go fast and if the pen is well lighted he should be fertile.

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
And if you really want to know catch the little rooster and check his vent. If swollen he is in breeding condition and fertile.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Their pen gets a good dose of sun every day. About half is in the sun, the other half is shade. When there is no sun or I have the rain shades up there's a light.

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
There should be no problem with fertility. I did notice that the last males I had were quieter at times; especially when there were nests of eggs.

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
If possible you might want to make the area around the nest such that the chicks can't stray and the other adults can't interfere a few days before hatch. Only if the hen remains a calm brooder. And the chicks will stray, as soon as they are dried off. The pen that my hen nested in was 4 x 4 feet and when the chicks hatched they were in every part while mom was still on the nest with just hatched chicks and eggs. She stayed in constant contact with them and when they became cold they'd go back to the nest. So cute. The calls of mom and chicks were barely audible. Make sure your cage has very close spaced bars. I put fine mesh around my cage's bottom to make sure the chicks were safe. All the chicks hatched in a fairly short period of time then the hen left he nest with her chicks.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I can do that. Mine might have to be bigger than that because of the pile of hay where her nest is.

So, they hatch like keets do. Once one starts all the rest follow rapidly in hatching.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, anyway I go out to put the birds up for the night. When I get to giving the Quail their evening snack there's no hen on the nest. I'm like, ah nuts. She left the nest.

I spotted her dust bathing in the feed bowl. Why that and not their pan filled with sand is for another day. But she answered a question I had, will she got to food and water?

And there's way more than four or five eggs.

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
So, anyway I go out to put the birds up for the night. When I get to giving the Quail their evening snack there's no hen on the nest. I'm like, ah nuts. She left the nest.

I spotted her dust bathing in the feed bowl. Why that and not their pan filled with sand is for another day. But she answered a question I had, will she got to food and water?

And there's way more than four or five eggs.
Eight to ten is the ideal number for a cortunix. If she has more--trust to luck or...

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're all arranged in a bowl shape and probably more than ten. Either those eggs were hidden in the hay or a bunch were suddenly added once she went broody. She manages to cover them all because you can't see any of them at all.

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
Then I'd leave well enough alone and, yes, she well may have hid them while laying. Hopefully, the others are not adding eggs. If you noticed, quail just lay their eggs in the same general area, then when all the eggs have been laid, the eggs are pulled together and the real nest is constructed around them. This is an interesting thing to watch.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts