Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it depends on the species. Coturnix quail are very quiet, the cockerel's crow sounds like a wild bird, and it doesn't carry like a rooster, and our hens hardily make any noise at all. Sometimes one will make a very soft cluck-cluck-cluck noise. I don't think our neighbours know we have them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm working on a quail cage set up now. Bought a used ferret cage, two tiered, converting it into a four tiered quail cage. Put wire rack for closets in and angle metal for the drop pans. Wire flooring is on an angle so eggs roll forward. Checked with a small egg from one of my young chickens! Still haven't finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's a lot of headroom for quail. Anything over 10" and you may lose birds when they jump. I usually have over 100 quail at any given time. I will post pics of the cages I've built tomorrow. You could probably make that cage into a 3 tier cage and be fine. Remember poo trays as quail poo 1 million times a day. Any quail questions please feel free to ask. I learned most of the things I know from trial and error. I'm still learning. I raise Coturnix. Browns and Texas A&M Whites.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
I just picked up 2 button quail. Here is their temporary set up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts