Chicken Forum banner
241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
You would know that better than me since I've never had Seramas. And I've never hatched Quail.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
About the only damage was the cover to the quail blew off. The birds are fine but their nest is ruined and they will have to start anew. We were really fortunate last night. When the only damage is a nest of eggs...Thank you God and Mother Nature!

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Too bad it was the quail, chickens you could just give them new nest material.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
I decided to turn the quail loose into the wild so the past two days I opened their pen door. A few came out but didn't leave.

The second day more came out, a couple may have left. But the problem was several headed into the front yard. The front yard is Maisey's and that didn't go well. She caught four of them yesterday. I got them away from her but now I need to decide how to handle that if I want them to out into the wild.

·
Super Moderator
3,838 Posts
That is going to be tough. As you know.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
I should have done this earlier or before I got her. It just never occurred to me that they would cross the driveway to head into the front yard. There's all sorts of cover and grazing all around and behind their pen but noooo, they head for the front yard.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I decided to turn the quail loose into the wild so the past two days I opened their pen door. A few came out but didn't leave.

The second day more came out, a couple may have left. But the problem was several headed into the front yard. The front yard is Maisey's and that didn't go well. She caught four of them yesterday. I got them away from her but now I need to decide how to handle that if I want them to out into the wild.
I wish I were closer as I'd have liked the tuxedo quail, but, oh well. Did you offer them on craigslist? I can understand wanting to be rid of them; just would have been better for someone to have taken them.

·
Registered
I have 3 chickens named chestnut, buttercup and sunfish!
1,855 Posts
I should have done this earlier or before I got her. It just never occurred to me that they would cross the driveway to head into the front yard. There's all sorts of cover and grazing all around and behind their pen but noooo, they head for the front yard.
Why did you let your quail in the wild they will get eaten by predators

·
Super Moderator
3,838 Posts
I can't keep the peafowl or turkeys out of the front yard, they always seem to go where you don't want them to.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The cortunix quail that are kept in pens are far removed from their wild cousins. They lack some of the instincts for survival as shown by your dog being able to catch four of them. It is likely they can't fly far. Mine have gotten out and they definitely can not fly more than a few feet. It was an easy matter to pick them up and return them to their cage. For the little while they were out, my bigger birds and dogs ran to grab and bully. The quail simply sat there making no effort to get away. I do hope you can find someone to take them.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Four? Dang.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
She was like a bullet when she went after them. But all are OK and back in the pen.

I had three more show back up this morning so they're back in the pen.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
If the shipping weren't so high, I'd try to beg the tuxedos from you. I am quite sure shipping is more than the quail are worth. I just now tried to find it online but with no results.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
I wouldn't ship live birds with this virus. There's been too many bad outcomes shipping live birds the past two years.

What I can do is separate the tuxedos out. Wait for a while then collect their eggs. Then you just might end up with the tuxedos you want.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
That would take quite a bit of time as it would be the same as with chickens; thirty days until fertility is assured. Knowing you want to be rid of them is what prevented me from asking before and it would be unfair of me to ask it of you now.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
That would take quite a bit of time as it would be the same as with chickens; thirty days until fertility is assured. Knowing you want to be rid of them is what prevented me from asking before and it would be unfair of me to ask it of you now.
If it was a problem, I wouldn't have offered. As it is, with them going into the front yard I won't be turning them out. They're here until the end.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
If it was a problem, I wouldn't have offered. As it is, with them going into the front yard I won't be turning them out. They're here until the end.
Then, yes, I would like that. If there's any variation in color, pick those that have the darkest black and the whitest white to separate out for breeding. Should you change your mind it would be OK.

241 - 260 of 274 Posts