Chicken Forum banner
221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
That was an interesting read. I did see some of those behaviors when mine built the nest. I didn't notice any one male staying close to her while she was on the nest though.
Didn't you have just the one male? I found the article interesting and very much the same as what I remember when I had the one quail brood and hatch.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I had to clean both pens. With the pen that had hay switched to straw, the hen deserted her nest and is now just dropping the eggs wherever. The other pen had straw and after cleaning the straw was replaced, that hen has continued laying in her nest. She now has 5 eggs. So, on a limited basis, it would seem that if I keep with the same bedding, the quail are not unduly upset. The extra hen put with the serama has stopped laying eggs.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The serama hen given 10 quail eggs has accepted and is well taking care of the eggs as though they were regular serama eggs. When another serama goes broody, I'm going to give her quail eggs too. The serama eggs are hatching better in the incubator so serama eggs are going in the 'bator; I think it's the weather why the results are so poor under the hens.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
I'm giving serious consideration to gathering all of the males up, decided who to keep and turn the rest out. Kind of sort of.

I don't really want them nesting, I don't need more.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
It's unfortunate that you don't know someone that might want them. Ever eat quail? Tastes alright but hardly worth the effort to kill and clean them. If they were bigger...

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
I probably could give the excess males to someone for processing. First I have to decide to do that.

Sorting will wait until morning because it's just too hot out there now.

·
Registered
I have 3 chickens named chestnut, buttercup and sunfish!
1,855 Posts
I probably could give the excess males to someone for processing. First I have to decide to do that.

I’ve never seen quails

·
Super Moderator
3,838 Posts

or turn them loose...

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Yeah, that's been rattling around in my head too. I know I have Bobwhites in the wild here. And any that escaped the pen are out there somewhere if they survived. It's actually the one I'm leaning towards.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Here's what I've done so far. I caught a bunch of the males and put them in the Guinea pen. I did let them out but they didn't go anywhere. In a day or two I'll leave the Guinea pen door open so they can leave if they decide to. Otherwise the Guinea pen is their new digs.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
OK, we're at a feel like of 115. Time to go hose down the poultry pens.

It's interesting, many of the quail don't move away from the water hitting them. It must feel good. Tomorrow I'll have to do the wet sand pan again.

Oh, the water hits them because I'm actually wetting the outside of their pen for them to hunker down in.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I noticed quite a few of the birds congregating around when I have the garden hose going. This chick hatched under my smallest serama hen yesterday; disappointing as it was the only one to hatch.

221 - 240 of 274 Posts