Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember the query I sent out about buying some of some guy's quail? Well, somehow I came home with everything he had. Something over 50.

I was very disturbed to discover that one by two wire will not hold small quail in. As fast I as I'd catch them more would get out. Went and got a big cage and of course it's one by two wire. Wrapped it in fiberglass screen to keep the little farts in.

As soon as the sweat quits rolling I need to go out and add more security.

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not funny. Not from this side. I'm on my second bandanna mopping sweat. It's not something I should be doing.

Tomorrow for pics. Maybe. I have to rethink the cage situation.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Not funny. Not from this side. I'm on my second bandanna mopping sweat. It's not something I should be doing.

Tomorrow for pics. Maybe. I have to rethink the cage situation.
Sorry, I know how frustrating it can be at the time. Over 50? And I was feeling guilty for buying 5.

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I know what I'm going to do. I have hardware cloth. I'm going to create a giant round pen in the quail pen. I'll just zip tie it closed.

Yeh, not sure what I was thinking. Not even sure if I was thinking. I have created a mess for myself at a bad time. ugh

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Zip ties are life savers; I have many sizes and colors at all times; just wish they'd last outside better instead of having to be replaced. Bad time...I wish there were something I could do to help.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I really hate that ALL posts don't come through to my email on the threads I'm watching. Robin-Do you know how I could update my old e account? Possibly that would fix the post problem for me.

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What old E account? Email? That shouldn't have anything to do with your updates. It's a forum thing. If you're following the topic you should get a notice as long as you want to receive an email. If the forum software is being hinky or slow, you may not get a notice rapid fire. I've seen that quite a bit.

I don't so I have all of mine but the PMs turned off.

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zip ties are life savers; I have many sizes and colors at all times; just wish they'd last outside better instead of having to be replaced. Bad time...I wish there were something I could do to help.
LOL If I was thinking I'd be just fine. Wouldn't need any help. But dang it. They're quail. I like quail a bunch.

I've got lots of sizes too. I'm finding I have a tendency to use certain sizes more and should keep more of those sizes on hand.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
What old E account? Email?YES That shouldn't have anything to do with your updates. It's a forum thing. If you're following the topic you should get a notice as long as you want to receive an email. I don't, only the one following my post. If the forum software is being hinky or slow, you may not get a notice rapid fire. I've seen that quite a bit. My email account is a twenty year old format which may not be compatible with the newer formats.

I don't so I have all of mine but the PMs turned off.

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, it's not your email. There are times I don't see a notice for a PM until hours after I've already responded to it and my email isn't that old.

And sometimes they don't come through at all.

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

OK, there's a few of them. Of course there's tons more but they don't stay still long.

I thought one was dead yesterday, laying on its side with the legs extended. Goofy thing was taking a break.

This morning was interesting, as I was getting the Guineas' day started I heard a quail cry in the woods behind the Guinea pen. Once I got them done, I walked back there and after a few minutes saw it running from me. It might have been out there all night with all the escaping that had been going on.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
OK, there's a few of them. Of course there's tons more but they don't stay still long.

I thought one was dead yesterday, laying on its side with the legs extended. Goofy thing was taking a break.

This morning was interesting, as I was getting the Guineas' day started I heard a quail cry in the woods behind the Guinea pen. Once I got them done, I walked back there and after a few minutes saw it running from me. It might have been out there all night with all the escaping that had been going on.
Quail chicks are among the cutest... If the escapee can hear those in the pen, you may be able to catch it. Good luck. How many different colors did you get?

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL Heck, if I know how many colors. I'm so hoping those two are not A&M whites. I've heard they can be aggressive. I just know they're stinking cute. My others were pretty much full grown when I got them.

I did catch the little one. It's in with the others. And it was little. I'm seeing size discrepancies yet they were all supposed to be hatched at the same time.

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, they know what mealworms are now. I gave them some the first day and those disappeared. I gave them more yesterday and those disappeared. I gave them two big hand fulls and it was on.

I also had to expand their round pen. Who knew 50 tiny little quail actually needed so much room?

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's good to learn. Since I didn't have them at this size before at least I know I'll be able to removed the round pen pretty quickly.

The adults are curious about them.

Oh, you asked about colors. I think I see some pied in there. From there I'm totally lost. Some are probably Pharaohs.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
That's good to learn. Since I didn't have them at this size before at least I know I'll be able to removed the round pen pretty quickly.

The adults are curious about them.

Oh, you asked about colors. I think I see some pied in there. From there I'm totally lost. Some are probably Pharaohs.

Then it will be wait and see; that's rather fun to wait and see what develops.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,303 Posts
Same with my chickens they all insist on squeezing out and roaming around my field, I even sometimes catch them wondering around my 7 acre field where my horses are and my horses almost stomped them today and I don't know what to do. I can't keep them in my 110 degree coop they would die from heat. They usually go back in because they get jealous but still they're life is in danger. my leghorns are the worst they're so thin they squeeze right out, and it's driving me crazy...

1 - 20 of 274 Posts