Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You made them? Oh my that is some talent there. Very beautiful. I have lots of button quails that would look nice to be worked in like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've made one coturnix quail egg so far. The little eggs can be difficult to blow without exploding them. Do the button quail eggs have spots? It's been six years since we raised any and I don't remember.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They look so delicate, beautifully done!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
Beautiful!!! You drink decaf, don't you??
Fuzz! Made me smile.

I used to know this artist when I was a kid. He would make those beautiful eggs. I'm creative but I could never get it right. Gorgeous!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Beautiful...how do you do that?? Really...you must have a pattern? What kind of paints do you use or are they colored pens? Just beautiful!! Jen

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a batik process using bees wax and dye. Here is a goose egg I just put varnish on. It's the final step in the process. I only make them during Lent unless I do a special Christmas ornament. I try to work on one every night, though some take several days.

image-1017145080.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a step by step applying wax and dying each color.

image-2473257134.jpg

Cover the white

image-71274045.jpg

Dye yellow and cover with wax

image-1036096503.jpg

Dye green and wax

image-3899312337.jpg

Dye red and wax

image-1108837824.jpg

Ready for final black dye

image-2265177539.jpg

Finished. Just need to melt the wax off the egg

image-480447454.jpg

All done.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use blown eggs. Some blow them after they are finished. Traditionally they were left whole and they dried out over time, but that can have varying results.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You are really talented!! Do you sell them? The one you just pictured looks a little like quilt designs...just beautiful! Jen:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts