Pygmy goat in love wuth chicken hen!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sandra, Oct 21, 2012.

1. sandra

sandra New Member

Ok, I have a first, and its funny and dangerous at the same time. My Pygmy goat Gandalf is smitten with our New Hampshire Red hen Cinnamon. It's been cute for a while until this morning I discovered the two of them trying to mate! Yes, you read that correctly, boy goat humping girl chicken! Both are consenting adults! I stopped it as soon as I guessed what they were trying to do! Gandalf has an appointment this Tuesday to be weathered. I only recently had adopted him so thats why he is getting fixed now. Will after he is weathered, will he stop trying to get it on with chickens. He knows which birds are hens and which one is he only rooster.

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Poor Gandalf is sure confused. :D I sure hope his getting weathered helps. I am clueless about goats. There are a few on here who have them so maybe one of them will be able to answer your question. Oh my. What a way to start off your day! ;)

3. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

Wow, thank god u stopped it, lol that chicken woulda got a surprise she wasn't expecting..

4. sandra

sandra New Member

I know right! I knew he liked the chickens, had no idea he fell in love with a chicken! It's too funny and yet something serious. I'll keep an eye on the both of them and Tuesday can't come soon enough! My rooster Blackie is too stunned to react. My chickens are so docile, you can walk right up to one and pick it up and cuddle it. Of course, I have been doing this since the day the hatched! Talk about spoiled chickens.

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Those little fluffs are sooo hard to resist though. Can't help but love them and spoil them. As is apparently Gandalf's problem. :D

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

If its already a learned behavior than prolly not.

7. sandra

sandra New Member

Yeah they are adorable fluffy darlings. Really gorgeous lady's.

I do hope when he's weathered he loses the urge. Either way, he is still being weathered. I'm not breeding so no reason for him to keep'em. He won't need the! Lol!

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

He'll probably make a much nicer pet for you afterwards.

9. Texasgirl

Texasgirl New Member

I have goats, mostly Boers and Spanish, and 1 dairy breed. First question is how old is Gandalf? The older he is the less likely he will stop. My current herd is made up of abandoned kids. Last Sept. I was given twins. They started humping each other and another wether by the time they were 8 weeks old. Due to circumstances beyond my control, they were not castrated until Jan. Though the behavior has diminished somewhat as their hormone levels have dropped, I still catch them in the act. One thing to consider, humping is a form of dominance. I have 1 buck and 3 wethers and all of them jump on me, though they get pushed off. At one point my buck even tried to hump me but thankfully I was not alone in the enclosure and my ranch partner stopped him before he hurt me. Gandalf's behavior may have nothing to do with reproduction at all, but just a need to let everyone know who is boss. Does your pygmy have horns? If so take a stick and hit his horns. Goats hate that and they quickly learn to stop the behavior. Or get a water gun and let him have it when you catch him doing something you disapprove of. Goats hate water also. Gandalf needs to learn you are the herd queen and the boss, not him.