PVC Auto Feeders?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by nxb161, Jan 24, 2013.

1. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

The following is a video I found on youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-dmi-QxGgs"]PVC Chicken Feeder - YouTube[/ame]

OK, not sure why the link isn't showing up, is that a "nono" to post youtube videos or something? It is called PVC Chicken Feeder and Hamish121212 is the author

Does anyone have this style feeder? I am looking for something that could possibly hold a large amount of food, and at the same time reduce waste due to scratching. This seems to solve the problem. There are two things I'd like to see better though, one would be to make the holes as smooth as possible. I wouldn't want them to hurt themselves going through the PVC holes. Also to somehow attatch the feeder so it would be elevated slightly above the ground to discourage mice. Any thoughts? My next search is going to be for auto water dispense.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. JensHens

JensHens New Member

This is a GREAT idea! I'm not too handy when it comes to making things, so I tried a different variation that doesn't work well at all! I was being cheap & found a large pvc pipe lying around the house, cut the bottom of a cat litter container off & attached it to the pipe. My girls managed to scoop out all the feed all over the ground. It should have lasted at least 4/5 days. I'm going to try this method out now, hopefully it works better. I also made a waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket, some pvc, silicone & chicken nipples. If I could only get it to stop leaking it would work great! Good luck on your project! :)

Attached Files:

3. kathy_byc

kathy_byc New Member

I have seen the Hamish121212 video on YouTube. I took it to my local big box hardware store and they hadn't seen anything the curved flanged pipe used. I will go to a plumbing supply but it maybe a nonUS item. If you have since found that plastic part please let me know.

4. anatolianlady

anatolianlady New Member

5. anatolianlady

anatolianlady New Member

Love this freeder and i love the water also.

6. rich

rich rich386

You guys may likt this auto fill system with Horizontal Plultry Watering Nipples. This would handle 100 hens or more. I have not had to clean or service it in two years. The whole thing cost less than $30.00 Any questions just email [email protected]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: