1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird Phasianidae Beak Chicken Galliformes
Tire Bag Comfort Luggage and bags Chair

Comfort Chair Headgear Automotive tire Flooring

Composite material Monochrome photography Room Monochrome Winter

Hi! We just purchased 1 Rhode Island Red, 7 Easter Eggers and one Frizzle. I was told they are 5 weeks. They are in a 42" octogonal pen that is a foot high.

I noticed several are missing back feathers two days after getting them. Is the pen too small to keep them in until the weather warms?

I live near Houston Texas. We don't have electricity out near the big coop yet so I though keeping them inside would be best. I will attach the
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

weather and pictures of the pullets. Also how they chose to sleep one night. They have an extra waterer and an extra brooding plate now. Thank you!

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
They're fully feathered, they shouldn't need supplemental heat at this point. Your temps are actually OK for them to be outside since they are fully feathered. You could check at bedtime when they're out in the coop. If they're all just hunkered, not crying, and going to sleep then they're fine.

You didn't take any pics of their backs so it's hard to know what might be going on.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're fully feathered, they shouldn't need supplemental heat at this point. Your temps are actually OK for them to be outside since they are fully feathered. You could check at bedtime when they're out in the coop. If they're all just hunkered, not crying, and going to sleep then they're fine.

You didn't take any pics of their backs so it's hard to know what might be going on.
So sorry! I'll attach pictures of their backs here. These are my first chickens!
Bird Vertebrate Chicken Phasianidae Animal feed

Bird Chicken Phasianidae Beak Galliformes

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
I think one of them is doing that. I would suspect the RIR first but it could be any one of them.

If it's from boredom you could try giving them something to work on like a quarter head of lettuce. Or introduce mealworms to them now. (freeze dried) They'll probably shy away from anything new for a bit until some brave soul takes a taste.

Do you have a camera on them? That would be the easiest way to tell. If not, the one not missing back feathers is the one doing the pulling. NuKote on the area would cause whoever is doing it to stop and will help protect the skin.

NuKote can be found in the horse aisle. I haven't used it but it is highly recommended by one of our forum members. He also said to shake the tube well before opening.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think one of them is doing that. I would suspect the RIR first but it could be any one of them.

If it's from boredom you could try giving them something to work on like a quarter head of lettuce. Or introduce mealworms to them now. (freeze dried) They'll probably shy away from anything new for a bit until some brave soul takes a taste.

Do you have a camera on them? That would be the easiest way to tell. If not, the one not missing back feathers is the one doing the pulling. NuKote on the area would cause whoever is doing it to stop and will help protect the skin.

NuKote can be found in the horse aisle. I haven't used it but it is highly recommended by one of our forum members. He also said to shake the tube well before opening.

I just got some grubs today, the black soldier fly kind. I was researching when it would be okay to give to them. I definitely want to give them some stuff to do! I appreciate the feed back!

I do have a camera on them and the RIR isn't missing feathers. All I saw so far was the frizzle picking on the white Easter egger for a little bit. I'll keep watching!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From looking at the footage it looks like it might've happened when one of the Easter eggers was jumping over the other one and it's foot caught the feather. Looking at other pictures it looks like the other Easter egger was already missing a feather from the farm.

They are on the dumor chicken starter 20%!

I'm prepping their big coop the next two days to go ahead and put them out there. I really appreciate the help and reassurance from y'all! ❤

1 - 9 of 9 Posts