Pullets Almost 6 Months Old; Do They Look Like They Are Ready To Lay Yet?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Slippy, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Slippy

Slippy Active Member

My girls are nearly 6 months old and I'm ready for some EGGS! Are they showing signs of being ready to lay? Or does it look like I'm gonna have them freeloading off me for another couple of months? Help! o_O

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Look for the reddest comb, that will be the first one to lay. It looks like the girl in the third pic has the most red but not quite there yet. The last pic maybe, but with her head down and away from the camera it's hard to tell.

Has it really been six months?

Poultry Judge and Slippy like this.

3. Slippy

Slippy Active Member

Yes Ma'am, 6 months the first or second week of November! Time sure does fly!

On another note, I've trained our Red Heeler to be calm and lay down while in the Chicken Yard with me and the chickens. I would never allow her to be in the coop or chicken yard alone but she is an good learner so she may end up being an excellent chicken guard dog! She lays at my feet and mostly ignores the chickens. I need to get a picture of it!

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  4. robin416

They can be trusted. My lab mix shocked the chickens the first time he entered the coop with me. He totally ignored them. This same boy was the one that harassed the bejeebus out of my Guineas until I taught him what a bad idea that was.

How old is your girl? She just might be in that sweet spot that she'd be the best bird dog ever. And not in the way most bird dogs are known. (Just to be clear there.)

5. Slippy

Slippy Active Member

Our Red Heeler is 7 years old. Best dog we've ever had and most loving animal you'd ever see!

Poultry Judge likes this.
  6. robin416

I'll bet she'll be good with them, especially if she recognizes the birds as part of your pack. Has she gone into the coop with them yet? Or have they been out sitting with you two?

7. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

I bet she could learn too. Our Lab was like Robins mix, she’d been walking beside us and they’d all start alerting and looking at me like ‘excuse me, Our food lady, but you’re about to get eaten, what is WRONG with you?!?!’ And our old girl would look their direction and look up at me like “tell me again WHY you brought these things into my yard??? Whatever dude. They’re all yours....”. Yes, my animals speak to me. Don’t yours? But basically she could care less if they were there or not there, once she got one good noseful of them the first time! She was older, true, but 7 years would make a comparable age to mine in attitude I’d guess!

Poultry Judge, robin416 and Slippy like this.
  8. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Slippy likes this.
  9. robin416

He's impatient. He built them those adorable digs and he's looking for some sort of payment for it.

Overmountain1 and Slippy like this.
  10. Poultry Judge

11. Slippy

Slippy Active Member

First payment!

IMG_2418.jpg

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  12. robin416

Close to two weeks since you asked about timing.

Slippy likes this.
  13. Poultry Judge

Slippy likes this.