Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a Black Copper Marans pullet who recently started laying, within the last 20 days or so. About two weeks ago, I moved her and her companion in with the rest of the pullets, four of them, all 8 months old. At first the two new girls were picked on quite a bit, but seem to be holding their own for the most part.

Over the past few days though, I have noticed that the pullet has been really hiding from the other girls. The coop I have now is dumb and the roosts are really low to the ground and I have a piece of wood over part of the roosts holding a feeder. She seems to go under there and sit, but only at night. During the day she is out and about with the other girls, eating and being seemingly normal.

The problem is that for the last three days I have not found any of her eggs. She normally lays in the nesting box, but there are none there. I have looked on the floor of the coop and see none there either. I also have walked the fenced in area of the yard where they are allowed to range and have found no eggs there either. I'm starting to get concerned. I don't know if she's stressed or what, and she doesn't seem to be displaying any symptoms of being egg bound.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Since she ranges, do you have any brush or bushes are anything around ? Also sometimes newly laying pullets will stop ever so often until their bodies get in tuned with laying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Apyl. I checked the yard. There are no bushes... just a large tree with rocks at the base, and there is nothing. Maybe she is on a break. She doesn't look ill or anything to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
stress of the introductions i would hazard a guess and may not be getting enough layer feed if she is at the bottom of pecking order,should settle down if she is not too picked on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. She has access to food and water, doesn't seem to be picked on so much now, but still no eggs. It's very strange.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My Serama hens are super fussy. They lay really well until I change something, anything, and then they stop for a while. Sometimes it's introducing more hens, putting them in a different cage, changing the location of the tractor.... SIGH. In any event it'll work itself out. My girls usually take up to two weeks to 'settle' again before they resume laying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts