Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of brahma chicks is puffed up. Her skin looks like it has come off the muscle. There is air or something in there. I don't know if she punctured one of her organs or something and know its filling up her body or wat. She seems a little more lethargic than the others but not too bad and she is eating and drinking. Please help. Had chicks die before cuz of this but never had the chance to ask.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is really obviuose on the head. Compare the healthy one to the one that in worried about

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Wow, I have never seen anything like that. I wonder if there is an infection under his skin from the sore. I will try to find some info for you, how weird.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a catheter and put it in. Secured it so it stays there. That way the skin cant fill back up. U think it is safe to do that?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry I really dont know. I read those pages and I know it say it need to be released. Other than that I'm not sure. I wish I did. sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Sorry I'm so late to this....

It's called subcutaneous emphysema. Essentially means air under the skin. Mammals can get it (dogs, people etc.). It's very uncomfortable but they can heal. With her it is likely an air sac rupture.

Good luck with treatment. Again, sorry I couldn't respond sooner. Prognosis is good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is perfectly fine now. Only had to do the treatment for a day. When i went to go deflate her again the nextday... She was normal again. Happy healthy girl now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts