Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my chooks are ex batts and have lost a large number of feathers and are also in need of building up their strength, is it ok to feed them small amounts of cat food each day? I thought this might have a higher protein content and give their feathers a bit of a kick-start. They laid 3 eggs between them on their first day with me (there are 4 altogether) but today there have been none so I think it may be a protein issue.

·
44 Posts
There is alot of protein in layer pellets you can also feed them dried meal worms. Commercial egg layers are in confined space and peck each other because they are board. their feathers will come back slowly and once they moult they will be fine. best thing you can do is let them free range and eat bugs they get lots of calcium from bug shells and lots of protein from them as well. Being that they are also new to you you might want to keep them confined to the run for a little while just so they know where to go once they are let out if you can do that.

·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks redmaples. I am keeping them confined for now, probably will let them out for a little "roam" in the yard once I've had them a couple of weeks. I thought about getting some nice fat juicy earthworms from the vege garden for them. I'll check our local supplier and see if I can get mealworms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When my pullets started a molt A friend cleaning out her freezer gave me all kinds of frost burned meats & trout. needless to say the chickens recieved all this extra protein and within a week or two were looking great! Cat food is 32 % protein and lots of people will throw handfuls of the dry food down for their hens ect. Too much isnt good but a cup/2cps full every day wont hurt for short time use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts