Poultry - not permitted in my zoning

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by justwondering, Nov 17, 2012.

1. justwondering

justwondering New Member

My neighbour purchased 4 chicks for laying eggs. although we are zoned as a rural residential, which does not allow livestock, we had no issue with it. Turns out two of those are barred rock roosters and they not only crow in the morning, but anytime they feel threatened. they let them free range on a 1 acre lot. I spoke to my neighbour about my concerns (as the pen is right under our window) and explained that we didn't mind the hens, but the roosters were a problem. She looked straight through me like I didn't exist. I am trying to give her the benefit of the doubt and contacted the township to enquire about the zoning of my property (ours is the same) and was categorically told to file a complaint. I still want to give my neighbour the chance to keep her hens, and I have written to request that she remove the roosters by Dec. 31 or I will contact the town. I would like to think that I am being reasonable (I even offered to have them relocated to another friend's farm that is zoned for livestock), but how would you feel to receive such a letter (non threatening, factual but direct).. This has been going on for about 4 months and we are reluctant to take this next step. Are roosters required to keep hens? Anyone?

2. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

I actually went through the exact same thing as you but I was on the other end... I do respect that you talked to them first instead of the town such should have solved the problem to simply get rid of the roosters, which In my situation my neighbors contacted the town instantly and I had to remove my whole flock instead of just my rooster. And no you do not need a rooster when keeping hens, unless you want to breed them. And the rooster is great protection for the hens sake! I also have 1 question for you since I had to deal with this on the other end which really pissed me off. What exactly don't you like about the rooster? Its such a natural noise which dates back so far in our history .. do you have a dog? If so do you think your neighbors can't hear it when it barks? And they don't complain. Or let's say you lived next to the road and a loud car drove by at sunrise. Would you call the cops on that car? Or if they mowed their lawn, ran a log splitter, or started up their harley at sunrise. Idk maybe im just different because I don't mind the noise of the rooster I like it. I think we all should be up at sunrise every morning. Its natural. Unless you work 3rd shift then that would suck. But think about this and ask yourself if you had to get rid of a pet which you raised from birth just because its a little loud. Also if they have an acre of land see if they will atleast move their coop to the back of their property. If I offended you in anyway im sorry but I just don't understand. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask..

3. kimberley

kimberley New Member

i had a rooster that crowed at 3 a m. my neighbors didnt complain but i didnt want them too and i know it was aggravating. i got rid of them myself.. i do have a silkie but he doesnt crow unless he is still in the coop. but you can also end up with loud hens that sound just liike roosters too. but i dont see a problem with you going to the town if you told the neighbor your concerns. they shouldnt have roosters if it is bothering the neighbors and you dont need them to get eggs. i liked my big rooster i got rid of but he would start crowing right under the neighbors window and he was LOUD, so hes gone to someone for breeding.

4. justwondering

justwondering New Member

Kokoschicks thanks for your reply. I do not have a dog and car noise leaf lowers etc do not bother me. It is the pitch and the fact that we are only on a one acre lot and not zoned for animals. They just got the roosters this summer (they are inexperienced with livestock) so i don't think they are keeping them because they're attached to them I don't know why because they seemed to not want them until I complained. So I honestly think they are doing it to irritate us. I am going to send them the bylaw, wait until spring (we don't have a/c) and if it doesn't get better then call the town. I feel I have been more than fair and I really do t want to take this route. And that bit about getting up in morning is strange because I hardly hear them in the morning. They crow all day long, not just the am.

5. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

I definitely think that you have given them enough time to get rid of them and if they Arnt listening then contact the town asap. I just went a little off topic because I had to get rid of all my Chickens because one of my chickens turned out to be a rooster and started crowing at 6 am and instantly complained to the town I easily would have got rid of him if they addressed me.

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

You have been more than generous with these people, and some people just don't understand that others don't love their animals as much as they do, just like they don't understand that all kids aren't adorable!! If they still don't get rid of the roosters on their own, then yes, go to the town. You will have done nothing wrong.

7. justwondering

justwondering New Member

Thanks. Just trying to get along with my neighbours and trying to help them understand not just being an entitled jerk, but I suppose if they're not willing to listened to me, they never consided me as a neighbor. I wish they had reacted like some of you and then I wouldnt have to worry

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

You've been kind about the whole situation and educated about it. Most people just shoot off without having done any homework or given any thought to what they are doing/saying. Many crazies out there these days so it does make confrontation scary anymore. Let someone else step in now and take over. You've done just fine. Good luck.

9. ChicksNHerps

ChicksNHerps Mad Silkie Scientist!

I just got a rooster for my small flock, and as soon as I got him I brought him over to my neighbor who lives in the same house and told her outright "This is my new rooster, if he gets to be too much and is bothering you don't hesitate to come to me and I will rehome him ASAP." I haven't had a problem as of yet, you can barely hear him when he is in the coop and I only let him out of the coop after 10am during the day so he doesn't bother anyone.

10. piglett

piglett Senior Member

welcome to the forum
    we have 2 silkie hens & 8 babies camping out in the woodshed at the moment.

piglett
    wolfeboro,nh

11. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

KNOW your FACTS first ;-)

First, WELCOME to the Chicken Forum! You mention your neighbors land (and your land) is Zoned "Rural Residential" (RR)....are you certain this means "NO LIVESTOCK"??? My home and land is also zoned RR and it specifically states the #1 uses for RR zoned property are "Farm & Forest"....have you ever been on a Farm that had "NO LIVESTOCK"??? If you are certain the Rural Residential zoning is specific and does NOT allow livestock (or poultry....they are different) then I would NOT send a letter to the neighbor. It's time to visit your township or county zoning office for a copy of the document that says "NO LIVESTOCK", then take it to the neighbor and have another face to face discussion with the documents in hand. Ask her again to get rid of the roosters (no, you dont need roosters to get eggs) and is she refuses show her the zoning documents and explain the next step will be to go to the zoning board! Don't call the police, they don't necesarily enforce zoning issues....you will need your township or county officials to address the problem in most cases.

12. justwondering

justwondering New Member

Hello there. Just an update, further to the previous reply. I did speak with the township and RR in our township means no farm animals, specifically no chickens or roosters. But, turns out I didn't have to do anything with that information as my neighbours ended up getting rid of the roosters because they became extremely aggressive when they were penned up for the winter, so it all worked out (well, perhaps not for the rooster) good in the end. As far as I know, they still have the chickens, but they don't bother me, and even though they are not "technically allowed", I am not prepared to make an issue of it. they have to listen to my kids, so its all about living together. Thanks for your replies and advice. Sometimes the best course of action is no action at all.

13. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

So glad it all worked out well in the end!

14. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Me too! No harm done!

15. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I'm so lost ...................

16. piglett

piglett Senior Member

i myself like roosters much better than kids because they only have a "crowing session" a few times a day, well atleast that is how mine are.
    it they crowed all of the time they would go camping :))))
    some kids on the other hand are yelling day & night ....not sure what that is all about

17. melvawicklund

melvawicklund New Member

Bothell, WA
    We are allowed 3 hens and no roosters.
    My community within Bothell has an HOA and they have conflicting Rules and Regulations with their Bylaws. Bylaws says to follow Bothell City Code and the Rules and Regulations
    says No Poultry of any kind. Luckily I appealed this and won a "Grandfather Clause" situation as they made the Rules and Regulations up after I already had chickens.

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Horray for you! Nice outcome.

19. ReTIRED

ReTIRED New Member

I know something about "Zoning". It is a "political embarrassment" usually.....
    AND...
    it tends to reduce a property-owner's inherent RIGHTS by giving those RIGHTS to people who DON'T own that property !!!
    My PERSONAL OPINION is that IF YOU don't like what your neighbor is doing on their OWN PROPERTY....YOU have the "option" of offering them enough MONEY for THEIR Property to induce them to SELL to you.
    OTHERWISE.....keep YOUR NOSE OUT of your neighbor's affairs !!
    ( and maybe....they'll keep THEIR NOSE out of yours.)

and THAT is how I feel about it !!!
    :mad:
    -
    ReTIRED- :)
    P.S. 6 years as a Planning Commissioner...2 years as Chairman....in a VERY RAPIDLY Growing area. I've seen it all. :rolleyes:

20. piglett

piglett Senior Member

or they can put up a big fence & then shut their yap:D