Chicken Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our chickens for 18 weeks now. Earlier this week my wife discovered a bunch of weird bumps on her body. She's a bit of a germ-a-phobe and was terrified they were bed bugs. Not a chance. Then her friend told her her dog has fleas. She attended a birthday party at her house over the weekend. Her co workers "confirmed" to her they were in fact flea bites. I come home from work tonight and she's in tears telling me that somehow they are now poultry mites and they have infested our house. She's scared of the chickens and never handles them or let's them out of the coop. The only time she's even remotely close to the chickens is when she throws feed through the fence for them. As I type this she is bagging up all our bedding to throw out and our clothes to wash. We've never had any problems like this with our chickens before. Just wondering what the best way would be to check them out? Take all 5 to the vet? Is it something I can do myself? She also tells me these alleged mites are only attracted to girls. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Sorry to have to tell you this, but she is experiencing irrational fears of something that is ungrounded in fact. The mites that chickens get are pretty specie specific, so the mites that prey on birds prey on birds but not on dogs or cats, etc. Nor do they prey on humans, though they may bite them if they lack a host, they do not dwell and infest so as to deliver many bites and inhabit the home.

I had recovered an old flock back from a friend who had neglected them and they returned to me pretty infested with lice and mites. They required much handling and treatment for these two parasites. Never sustained one bite during that extensive handling of the birds, cutting off nit sacs from their feathering, searching through their feathering for evidence of mites and lice, etc. And I'm a female...didn't seem to attract a one.

Nor have I ever heard of anyone getting mites infesting their skin from bird mites. There are specific mites that prey on humans and on birds, but rarely does a human get skin mite issues from handling birds or even living near birds...the mites that infest humans come from human to human contact.

Here's a link that explains this further but you can assure your wife that the chickens are most likely not the source of her bites. I've never sustained a bite from any bug associated with chickens for 37 years now, nor has anyone I've ever known personally...and all the chicken keeping in my family, for generations now, has been by the females.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcmites.htm

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bee said:
Sorry to have to tell you this, but she is experiencing irrational fears of something that is ungrounded in fact. The mites that chickens get are pretty specie specific, so the mites that prey on birds prey on birds but not on dogs or cats, etc. Nor do they prey on humans, though they may bite them if they lack a host, they do not dwell and infest so as to deliver many bites and inhabit the home.

I had recovered an old flock back from a friend who had neglected them and they returned to me pretty infested with lice and mites. They required much handling and treatment for these two parasites. Never sustained one bite during that extensive handling of the birds, cutting off nit sacs from their feathering, searching through their feathering for evidence of mites and lice, etc. And I'm a female...didn't seem to attract a one.

Nor have I ever heard of anyone getting mites infesting their skin from bird mites. There are specific mites that prey on humans and on birds, but rarely does a human get skin mite issues from handling birds or even living near birds...the mites that infest humans come from human to human contact.

Here's a link that explains this further but you can assure your wife that the chickens are most likely not the source of her bites. I've never sustained a bite from any bug associated with chickens for 37 years now, nor has anyone I've ever known personally...and all the chicken keeping in my family, for generations now, has been by the females.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcmites.htm
This isn't the first thing she has blown out of proportion.

Thank you very much for the info. I will attempt to put her mind at ease with the facts and try to find something to treat the chickens with. I still believe it to be fleas as in the past two months she has rescued and returned a dog and most recently a cat.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
:D I feel for ya! I don't have much patience for such tomfoolery so I always admire those that do...it is definitely love that you have for this woman when you show so much patience and long suffering.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bee said:
:D I feel for ya! I don't have much patience for such tomfoolery so I always admire those that do...it is definitely love that you have for this woman when you show so much patience and long suffering.
+10000000000

I checked two chickens for mites and found nothing. Ill go pick up some of that DE stuff tomorrow I guess.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There many types of mites out there some live strictly on the host and some will wander there are chiggers that will live on mammals as well as birds that cause a itchy rash and they are the mite family. I have to say though you said that your wife brought home a dog and then a cat that she rescued I have work with animals my entire life and I think she might be suffering from flea bites very commen on dogs and cats and when that food source isn't around they go for the next best thing humans. You might want to think about putting a spray bomb in your house but truthfully I don't think it's the chickens causing the problem.

·
977 Posts
We have numerous chickens , ducks , guineas and quail. All of these birds were hatched and raised in the house. When they got old enough to be outside without a heat lamp they went out. We had some birds living in the house when they were sick or injured. Never had I been bitten by any bugs. Sorry about your situation

·
Registered
144 Posts
Depending on what part of the country you are in, your wife may be experiencing flea bites. Fleas are horrible in the Oh, Ky, In tristate this year.

I have rescued and raised baby robins and sparrows and doves who have had bird mites, but I never got bit. Last I checked, I'm still a girl:)

We did have a scare with mites a while back, in the early part of the summer. So we took all of our chickens and dipped them in Permectin solution and sprayed the coop with DE and water solution to get rid of the nits. I've also started adding DE to their feed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I knew right away they weren't chicken mites. Now she has convinced herself they are bedbugs so I played along and washed every article of clothing an bedding in the house in 160 degree water. She found what she was certain was a bed bug shell even thought I knew it wasn't. She emailed a pic of it to a local exterminator and he called back and told her it was a harmless carpet beetle. I am around 99.9999999% sure they are flea bites but she has OCD and is germaphobe so she ways imagines the worst.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesterday I finally found and killed 2 fleas. She didn't believe they were fleas until her mom came and looked at them AND she had to take them to a vet. Apparently a receptionist in a vets office's word is the law of the land and mine means nothing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Clearcut23 said:
Yesterday I finally found and killed 2 fleas. She didn't believe they were fleas until her mom came and looked at them AND she had to take them to a vet. Apparently a receptionist in a vets office's word is the law of the land and mine means nothing.
Of course it is:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts