Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It snowed (way early!!) about 10", and got cold.

The cats have been in mostly the last two days, and they have been staying in the basement, where the wood burning stove is, and where the dog doesn't go. The cats love the warm stove.

They all are learning, and the dog is learning to leave the cats alone when they come upstairs.

Reactions: Sylie

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I'm surprised the little guy isn't with the cats close to the stove. Our old redbone hound got so close to the wood stove in our old place we had concerns he'd get burned.

It does sound like they're finding their new normal. I'm looking forward to reading they're sharing the same bed at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
It sounds great so far! They will all learn to get along or they will learn who's boss and act accordingly, it will all be fine in the end :D just keep up the patience!

Reactions: lover of birds

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I don't let the dog in the basement, because the cats need their space in the house where the dog isn't. The litter box is in the basement too, which I hear dogs love.

One of my cats, Chloey, was just observing him yesterday through the baby/pet gate, and hissed at him he got too excited.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Yeah, my Sissy would do that to my dogs. She never struck any of them but would hiss and walk off. Jake was more like he could care less about the dogs.

The litter pan is dog heaven. The scary part is the litter itself and what it can do internally. Since I don't have a basement I had a fence around mine to keep the dogs out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It took the cats four weeks before they decided Jordan is not a threat, and started to act normal again. Now, though one of the cats has been missing for 2&1/2 weeks. I think a coyote killed him. Also tried to kill my Flemish Giant rabbit about a week before that! The rabbit is okay.

Since the other cat is gone, the remaining cat, Chloey, has been staying in the house more. She doesn't stay outside all night like the other cat did. She plays with the dog a little, but mostly watches and pretends to stalk him.

I don't have a picture yet of them sleeping together, although they have slept on the same couch, but not close.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Former title of thread was "Cavapoo Breeders". I changed the name of the thread since I ended up getting a miniature poodle who needed a good home. My mini poodle (Jordan) was kept for breeding doodles (Maltipoos) by his previous owner, who no longer wanted to breed.

Jordan is a wonderful boy. Poodles have such good qualities, there's no need to cross breed them (and charge a lot of $$$ for a fancy name) to get any other qualities.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I'm so sorry about the loss of the one cat. It's part of the reason I made a cat run for my cats so they could be out but contained. I just couldn't afford the vet bills if they got into a fight with another feral cat.

That took a bit longer than I thought it would. But since Chloey no longer has the other she's more than likely going to get closer to Jordan as time goes by.

I lost my last dog a few months back. I've decided no more but boy do I miss having one in my life. But both of my cats are 12 years old so the likelihood they'd accept a strange dog is about zero to no flipping way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I thought if we get another cat in the future, we will build a cat run. I can't keep a cat in the house full time, since we don't declaw. They like to scratch and get things out of their system that they can't in a house full time.

The other cat that is gone was more chill around Jordan, hunching his back and rubbing up against him.

For now, and for a long time it's just going to be one cat and one dog. The rabbit has a spot in the garage out back, safe with no gasoline fumes, and I'll let him back out closer to spring. So far he doesn't want out, since he was traumatized by the coyote attack.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I don't know how I got so lucky, my two have not been after my furniture at all. They do like the rugs that are around the house. And of course there's a cat scratcher or two around and they've shredded that.

I was going to say it's the male laid back thing but I had one female that even when the dogs told her to go away when they were lounging she'd ignore them and curl up against their chests or bellies.

I got lucky with this house, I have a screened breezeway. I just extended it out to the open sky with a run for them. Not saying the male is always that pleased about it but it's usually enough to keep him from nagging me.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I'm thinking about making a cat run. I'm just afraid that they will get even more fleas than they already do. I have one cat that is so allergic to them that she has seizures from even a couple. If I let her out she would be one giant seizure 24/7, I seriously cannot take that lol. It really messes with me when she has them.
If I let the other cats out in the run and not her, they will bring the excess fleas in the house when they come back in. I don't know, maybe I can make an elevated one. solid floor, solid roof for shade and protection from rain and hardware cloth walls? Does that sound doable?

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Uh, Sylie, are you aware that anyone that goes outside can bring them in on their pants legs?

I lived on a boat for a year, the thing was about 200 feet from the shore. The boat and my two cats ended up covered in fleas. The cats didn't leave the boat, just my daughter and me.

Well, yeah one did. The female was adventurous and would go wandering on nearby boats if I didn't keep an eye on her.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Yes I'm aware lol, but compared to a cat, sitting on the ground collecting them and then coming inside...that's a different color of horse. None of our cats are outdoor cats, the only way that they get fleas is by the dog bringing them in (he is an indoor dog but we walk him around the block to potty and therefore, brings in fleas) and the few we bring in on our pants. We rarely get severe infestations because we are so careful, brush off our pants when coming inside, combing the dog and cats several times a day, treating the carpets and floors etc. It's a giant pain in the neck to keep the fleas down but it has to be done.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I always had good luck with the topicals for just the dogs. If the cats had any they died because of the dogs being treated. Especially the calico that slept with the dogs.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
We tried Frontline on the dog but he almost died from it, and on top of that, it didn't work at all. I knew I should have just stuck with my herbs that had worked in the past but my husband wanted to try it *shrug* lesson learned

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Yeah, just like humans some of it can have bad side effects. And the main ingredient in Frontline quit working some years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Yeah, it was something like 4 yrs ago that we tried it. Swore never again. We thought we were going to lose our dog and still had fleas to contend with after it.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
It's been way too many years but one of mine reacted to something I gave him or put on him. It must have been a topical because I took him out and gave him a bath immediately. It was enough to stop the reaction.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
That's the biggest problem with chemicals, there are so many things that can go wrong. Not to say that it can't happen with herbs because, yes, you can be allergic to herbs but the reaction is generally not as severe and not as likely to happen and herbs are pretty straight forward, if you use rose geranium oil on your dog for fleas and he reacts to it, that's a bummer but at least you know exactly what he is allergic to, with chemicals, there are so many ingredients that you just cannot pin point the problem.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Part of the challenge was not knowing his true parentage. I'm fairly sure he had Australian Shepard in him along with black lab. As we talk about his I remember more. His two brothers were fine with it but not him, so I just treated the other two.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts