Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
That sounds like the young guinea I rescued. I couldn't believe what I saw there.

When I got him home and out of the cage he stunk something awful. The saddest part of it was he was plenty old enough to roost but he didn't know how.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got a toy/mini poodle yesterday. He's 2 & 1/2 years old, from someone who was breeding designer puppies, but quitting. He's housebroke, calm, doesn't bark, a very good boy.

The cats are terrified, and hope they can adjust. I'll post a pic soon.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Is this your only dog or adding to the pack?

And that is another reason why I won't be getting another dog, my two old cats. I'm just not willing to upset that apple cart.

Looking forward to the pics of the new fluff ball in your house.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, he's the only dog. One cat I think can adjust, but the other one I'm not sure about. They are young, and spend a lot of time outside, but they like to be able to go in the house and not be afraid.

I might have made a mistake. He's such a good boy.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
If he's a good boy and he doesn't aggravate the cats then why is he a mistake?

Are the cats really afraid of him or just not liking having an interloper? Because of my set up in TN and my other old cats I kept my two current cats locked in the back half of my house. They never interacted with my four dogs. Then when the old cats died I let these two out. They never missed a beat with the dogs although the female would hiss if one of them got in her face.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
They are just afraid of him being around, and don't want to take the chance of coming in contact with him at all.

Although it was okay for the cats to follow an opossum to where his home was, which was under my chicken shed.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
If he isn't bugging them I'll bet they'll adjust to his presence especially since they're young. Mine did.

Because mine are now 12 years old I won't force them to accept another dog in the house.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I sure hope so. One cat is just over 2 & 1/2 years old, who grew up with a dog in the house of the breeder, and the other cat is 1 year 3 months.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Too bad cats don't follow the lead of the older more experienced cat. Things could get all settled in a hurry that way. Unfortunately cats are cats and only follow their own lead.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
The cats will adjust, it's just going to take some time. Took my cats 3 months to get used to moe and duke.
If the dog is a great dog just have patience it will all work out

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
He's actually more black than what the camera recorded. He is coal black, and his collar is purple, not pink.

The cats are adjusting. I have a gate up that I fold to block two areas from each other when the cats want to come in.
DSCN6241.JPG

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The bed fits him perfectly when he lays down and curls up. He barked for the first time since being here today.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I was just wondering if a time comes when you'll be taking pics of one of the cats curled up sleeping with him. I've got pics of one of my dogs and one of my old cats, dog with a front leg over the cat and both sound asleep.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
OH what an adorable little sweety. The cats will adjust, It just takes time, cats are like that. Be patient with all of them and it will work out.

Reactions: lover of birds

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I was just wondering if a time comes when you'll be taking pics of one of the cats curled up sleeping with him. I've got pics of one of my dogs and one of my old cats, dog with a front leg over the cat and both sound asleep.
I'll make sure to post a pic when (hopefully) that happens!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
OH what an adorable little sweety. The cats will adjust, It just takes time, cats are like that. Be patient with all of them and it will work out.
I think they will. They have been observing, and I've been making sure they still get their snuggles too.

Reactions: Sylie

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I agree with Robin, few or no actual fights is a good sign and you are well on your way!

Reactions: lover of birds
21 - 40 of 64 Posts